Print version

back to home page
Links to Cambridge Agencies
Links to National and other sites
News & Information
Contact us by Email


Contact information for a range of Mental Health Services / Agencies.

Access and Crisis Services

CPRS Community Mental Health Team
128 - 130 Tenison Road Cambridge CB1 2DP
Telephone Number 01223 - 516911
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday & weekend cover.
A multi-disciplinary CMHT exclusively for patients of the Cambridge Psychiatric Rehabilitation Service

North City Community Mental Health Team
Auckland Road Health Clinic Auckland Road Cambridge CB5 8DW
Telephone Number 01223 - 533300
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral , Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Self-referral for ex service users
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday & weekend cover

South City Community Mental Health Team
Auckland Road Health Clinic Auckland Road Cambridge CB5 8DW
Telephone Number 01223 - 533300
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral , Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Former patients can self refer
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday with weekend cover

South Patch Community Mental Health Team

The Old University Arms,
84 London Road,

Tel: (01223) 830270

North Patch Community Mental Health Team

Elizabeth House,
Fulbourn Hospital,

Tel: (01223) 218604

Homeless Mental Health Services

Cambridge Cyrenians
21 Sturton St Cambridge CB1 2SN
Telephone Number 01223 712504
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Other agencies that work with homeless people
Opening Hours Monday to Friday office hours
Description An outreach and resettlement service

Overstream House Victoria Avenue Cambridge CB4 8QD
Telephone Number 01223 518140
How Accessed
Opening Hours seven days a week, afternoons.
A day centre offering subsidised food and beverages, shelter, social environment, specialist services such as benefits and housing advice.

Emergency Clinics / Walk-in Clinic

Psychiatric Liaison Team
S3 Addenbrooke’s Hospital Hills Road Cambridge
Telephone Number 01223 216167
How Accessed
Referrals from Addenbrooke’s Hospital medical staff only
Opening Hours 9-5 Monday to Friday.

Clinical Services

Psychiatric Outpatient Department - S3
Addenbrooke’s Hospital Hills Road Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone Number 01223 - 217944
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Opening Hours 9 -5 Monday to Friday

Psychological Treatment Service
PTS. S2 Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Hills Road CB2 1QQ
Telephone Number 01223 - 217958
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Opening Hours 9 - 5 Monday to Friday
Service offering psychological interventions for patients with moderately severe mental illness.

Acute Inpatient Units / Wards

Adrian House
Fulbourn Hospital Cambridge CB1 5EF
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator

Friends Ward
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator

IASS, Ida Darwin Hospital, Cambridge, CB1 5EE
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
A 6 bedded in-patient service

Local Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit
George McKenzie House
Fulbourn Hospital Cambridge CB1 5EF

Personality Disorder Service
Complex Needs Service
Barton House, Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambridge CB2 2QQ
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9-8 Monday to Friday

Cobwebs Residential Service
4 Gresham Road Cambridge

Services for Mentally Ill Offenders

Forensic Community Team
S3 Addenbrooke’s Hospital Cambridge CB2 2QQ
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Court Diversion Scheme
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday and available at weekends

Therapy Services

Arts Therapy Services
Fulbourn Hospital Cambridge CB1 5EF
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator

Lawrence Way Community Counselling Service
37 Lawrence Way Cambridge CB4 3PR
Telephone Number 01223 361703
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Opening Hours mostly day time but some evening appointments
Description primary care counselling service

Specialist Psychotherapy / Counselling Service

Centre 33
33 Clarendon Street Cambridge CB1 1JX
Telephone Number 01223 316488
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours Mon to Weds 10am to 8.15pm Friday and Saturday 10am to 1.30pm

St Columba Group Therapy Centre
3 Downing Place Cambridge CB2 3EL
Telephone Number 01223 357221
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Opening Hours 9-5 Monday to Friday. Groups are also run in the evenings and Saturdays.

Day Services
Day Centres / Resource Centre

Cambridge Clubhouse - Closing March 2006
47 Norfolk Street Cambridge CB1 2LD
Telephone Number 01223 - 359561
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday, Saturdays and some evenings
Description Day service based on the Clubhouse model providing a rehabilitative model.

Cambridge Day Clinic - Closing March 2006
2 Trumpington Street Cambridge CB1 2QA
Telephone Number 01223 - 366461
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday + some evenings

Mitchell Centre
128 - 130 Tenison Road Cambridge CB1 2DP
Telephone Number 01223 - 516911
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Opening Hours 9-5 Monday to Friday

Employment Schemes

Richmond Fellowship Education and Training
Unit BC The Paddocks 347 Cherry Hinton Road Cambridge CB1 8DH
Telephone Number 01223 242267
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Provides help to find suitable training or employment and support in the work place.

Support Services
Self-help and Mutual Aid Groups

Cambridge MDF

National MDF
Manic Depression Fellowship
Castle Works, 21 St George's Road, London SE1 6ES
tel. 020 7793 2600, fax: 020 7793 2639
How Accessed
Description support group for users and carers

The Bath House Gwydir Street Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone Number 01223 566957
How Accessed
Opening Hours Monday to Thursday 4-7pm Friday to Sunday 1-7pm
Description Daily social club, information service, groups and counselling. Newsletter

CAM-MIND Cambridge CB4 1ER
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Self-referral. Specialist mental health service Care co-ordinator

Advocacy Service

Cambridgeshire Independent Advocacy Service [CIAS]
Head office 5 York Road Peterborough PE1 3PB
Telephone Number 01223 218500
How Accessed
Opening Hours Generally available Monday to Friday, office hours
Description The Advocacy service is free, independent and confidential. We are available throughout Cambridgeshire. We support and enable people with mental health issues to speak up for themselves and exercise their rights, as individuals, or in a group.

Advice and Information Service
Citizens Advice Beareau (CAB)
72/74 Newmarket Road Cambridge CB5 8DZ
Telephone Number 01223 222660
How Accessed
Opening Hours Service provided to ward in-patient areas. Follow up visits organised. Rural outreach service visits people in their homes.

The Bath House Gwydir Street Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone Number 01223 521521
How Accessed
Opening Hours Every day 7pm to 11pm
A Helpline

Other Services

Adult Eating Disorder Community Team
Park House Nursery Road Huntingdon Cambridgeshire PE29 3RJ
Telephone Number 01480 415375
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9 - 5 Monday to Friday
Description Specialist Eating Disorder Team covering the County who offer assessment and treatment of adult eating disorders.

Day Care Team
The University Arms Office, 84 London Road, Sawston,CB2 4XE
Telephone Number 01223 830270
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9 to 5 Monday to Friday
Dedicated team providing structured day activities using local community facilities for patients of the local community mental health team

S3- Inpatient unit
Addenbrooke’s Hospital Hills Road Cambridge CB2 2QQ
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator

Weekend Service
Auckland Road Health Clinic Auckland Road Cambridge
Telephone Number 01223 - 219122
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours Sat Sunday and Public Holidays
A support / advice service for current MH service users & carers staffed by local CMHT staff on a rotational basis

Young Onset Dementia Service

Fulbourn Hospital Cambridge CB1 5EF
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Department of Neurology referral
Opening Hours Mon - Fri 9.00am - 5.00 pm

Assertive Outreach Team
Block 7 Ida Darwin Hospital
Telephone Number 01223 884390
How Accessed
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9 - 5 seven day core service + extended hours as required
Description Multidisciplinary clinical team working in conjunction with sector psychiatrists

Early Intervention in Psychosis Service
Block 7 Ida Darwin Hospital
Telephone Number 01223 884360
Web-site Address
How Accessed
GP/local doctor referral
Specialist mental health service
Care co-ordinator
Opening Hours 9 - 5 Monday to Friday + Weekend and evenings availability

LIFECRAFT Mental Health Handbook
Who is the handbook for?
This handbook is mainly for people
between the pages of 16 and 65,
although there are short sections on
services for children and older people.
How to use the handbook
If you want information on the specific
organisation and you know its name,
go to the alphabetical index.
If you are interested in an area of
mental health, look first in the contents
page which will give the broad areas
covered in each section, then try the
index if you cannot find what you want.
This handbook has been produced by
Lifecraft with funding from
Cambridgeshire County Council Social
Services Department.
The revised edition of the handbook
was edited by Carole Morgan, Lifeline
Co-ordinator, assisted by Emma Grey,
Malcolm Mitchell and Adrian Strowger.
The original 1996 edition of the handbook
was produced by Bev Sedley.
We have done our best to ensure that
the information contained in this
handbook is correct as of September
2005 and apologise for any mistakes.
Lifecraft cannot take responsibility for
any information that is inaccurate or
for the quality of the services listed.
At the time of going to print many
changes are about take place within
the mental health systems with forthcoming
proposed cuts. Consequently,
some of this information may become
out-of-date very quickly.
Further single copies of this handbook
can be obtained free of charge from
Lifecraft (see page 4). If you need more
copies in the post, you will need to
reimburse us for the postage.
Alternatively, you may pick up multiple
copies from the Lifecraft Information
Centre during office hours (Monday to
Friday, 12 noon to 6.45pm).
1: Introduction 4
2: Mental Health and Mental Illness 5
3: The Mental Health Act 1983 11
4: Advocacy, Information and Advice 16
5: Mental Health Promotion, Stigma and
Discrimination 24
6: Help in a Crisis 30
7: Hospital Services 34
8: Help in the Community 42
9: Counselling and Psychotherapy 48
10: Self-Help and Voluntary Groups 59
11: Complementary Therapies 63
12: Housing 65
13: Employment and Careers Guidance 72
14: Education 78
15: Sport and Leisure 80
16: Transport 83
17: Benefits Advice 87
18: Carers 88
19: Children and Young People 92
20: Women 96
21: Older People 99
22: Parents 104
23: Black and Minority Ethnic Groups 107
Index 109
The Bath House
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone: 01223 566957 (Office)
Lifeline: 0808 808 2121 (FREEPHONE)
Fax: 01223 505932
Lifecraft is a local self-help organisation
which is run by users and ex-users
of mental health services. We provide
the following services:
• Daily social club for members
(Monday to Thursday 4.00pm-
7.00pm, Friday to Sunday 1.00pm-
7.00pm). Membership is free. Club
(opening hours only) 01223
• Mental Health Information Service
open to all, providing information
and support. Phone or come in,
Monday to Friday 12noon-6.45pm.
Books, factsheets, booklets available
on mental health issues along
with treatments and local
resources. We can also help people
gain access to services.
• Lifeline, Cambridgeshire Mental
Health Helpline. FREEPHONE
0808 808 2121, open nightly from
7.00pm-11.00pm, 365 days of the
•Weekly groups: Women’s, Men’s,
Music, Writing/Poetry, and Singing.
• Counselling service, free to members.
• Quarterly newsletter, Frontline
• Projects: Moving Art and Kringe
• Campaigns and South
Cambridgeshire Users Forum
(SCUF): Members take an active
part in promoting Lifecraft, challenging
stigma and discrimination.
Lifecraft (registered charity number
1048144) receives funding from
Cambridgeshire County Council,
Cambridge City and South Cambs
Primary Care Trusts, Cambridge City
Council, the Community Fund.
1 Introduction
Going to pieces?
For support, information,
call out of hours.
We’re here to listen!
Staffed by trained volunteers . . . interested?
0808 8082121
7.00pm – 11.00pm
A Lifecraft Project
A member of the Telephone Helpline Association
Funded by the Community Fund
Nearly all of us experience mental
health problems at some point in our
lives. Increasing numbers of people in
the UK are being treated for common
mental health problems, and the
World Health Organisation predicts
that by 2020, depression will be
second only to heart disease as an
international health burden. Experiences
that we encounter – relationship
break-ups, bereavement, financial
worries, stressful jobs – can all act as
triggers for depression and anxiety.
Mental health problems include anxiety,
depression, post-natal depression,
post-traumatic stress disorder, manic
depression, schizophrenia and eating
disorders. An estimated 1 in 10 people
will have some form of depression at
any one time, with it being most
common in people aged 25-44 years.
It is important for people to have
access to as much information as they
want and need about their illness and
a range of treatments. It is hoped that
this Handbook will help you with this,
and many of the organisations listed
will be able to help you further.
While medication is often an important
feature of that treatment, particularly
for people with psychotic illness,
many people are helped by counselling
and psychotherapy, relaxation and
other stress-reducing techniques,
including aromatherapy and massage.
Meeting other people with similar
problems and discussing ways of
coping can also be of immense
benefit. The fear and stigma which is
unfortunately often attached to
mental health problems often stop
people from talking about it and this
leads to feelings of isolation, of ‘I’m
the only one who feels like this or has
this problem’.
Who provides mental
health care?
The health care we receive on the
National Health Service (NHS) is
provided by the family doctor (GPs)
and other staff in primary care, and by
NHS Trusts. They provide the care and
treatment, but the money they get
comes from the primary care trusts
(PCTs). In our area, this means
Cambridge City and South Cambs
PCT. PCTs are responsible for buying
the services we need from providers
and making sure the money is being
well spent. This is called commissioning
Mental health services in this area are
provided by the Cambridgeshire and
Peterborough Mental Health
Partnership NHS Trust which provides
an integrated health and social care
mental health service. Other support
for people with mental health problems
is provided by voluntary agencies
and self-help groups
For most people, the first step if you
have mental health problems and
need support is your family doctor
(GP). Many people now get the help
and support they need from their GP.
Your GP may suggest counselling or
exercise as alternatives to prescribing
drugs, and many GP’s can refer you on
to these services. See pages for info on
the Primary Care Psychological
Treatment Services and exercise. If you
Mental Health and Mental Illness 2
need more support you may be
referred on to mental health services
for support from specialist mental
health professionals, such as a psychiatrist
or other professionals. You may
be given an appointment at the
psychiatric outpatients department or
you may get a visit from a member of
one of the community mental health
teams (see pages 30 and 31).
Getting the care and
support you need
Care Programme Approach
If you come under the care of mental
health services, either through admission
to a ward or by being taken on by
a community service you should have a
Care Plan which describes your needs
and what help you can expect in the
community. This is known as the Care
Programme Approach (CPA). This
means that you have a care plan which
is regularly reviewed. A care co-ordinator
is responsible for co-ordinating
your care and promoting effective
communication between all
concerned. If you are on the CPA you
may see mental health professionals
regularly and may go to a day centre
or work centre for people with mental
health problems, as well as other alternative
All users of mental health services,
whether inpatients or in the community,
have their care organised through
the CPA. Those on Standard CPA
have relatively straightforward needs,
which can be met through one or two
services only. Those on Enhanced CPA
have more complex needs, may be less
prepared to engage with services and
may be more likely to present risk to
themselves or others. For them, particularly
skilled and efficient care coordination
is especially important.
All service users are entitled to have a
Care Plan and to be involved in the
process for planning your care needs.
A review of these needs should take
place regularly, and a service user can
request a review at any time.
In addition, the CPA provides a framework
within which carers can also be
identified, and have their own needs
assessed, with relevant services also
being put in place for them (see
Chapter 18).
Local authorities such as Cambridgeshire
County Council have particular
duties to assess needs of adults with
mental health problems, and set up
packages of care, which may include
nursing or residential care placements,
or home care to help people look after
themselves at home. This process
includes accessing funding from Social
Services for the care provided, and
applying charging policies. These
duties derive from the Community
Care Act and are known as Care
Management. Locally, this is integrated
with the Care Programme Approach.
Direct Payments
What are Direct Payments?
Cash given directly to people to
purchase their assessed care needs,
which help people regain control,
hope and independence in their lives.
Direct Payments for people with
mental ill health are linked to the
Recovery Model, and help combat
discrimination and promote social
inclusion in the local and wider
The Purpose of Direct Payments
Direct Payments were introduced ‘to
give recipients control over their own
life by providing an alternative to social
care services provided by a local council.
A financial payment gives the
person flexibility to look beyond the
‘off the peg’ service solutions for
certain housing, employment, education
and leisure activities as well as for
personal assistance to meet their
assessed needs. This will help increase
opportunities for independence, social
inclusion and enhance self-esteem and
promote recovery’.
What can Direct Payments be
used for?
The simple answer to this is ‘anything’
as long as it meets an assessed social
care need.
This can be summarised as:
• Assistance with personal care within
or outside of the home.
• Assistance with domestic tasks if
this is part of an overall care package
and not provided in isolation.
• Assistance to access facilities to
promote social inclusion.
• Assistance to purchase respite care.
Direct Payments cannot currently be
used to purchase treatment, which
includes psychological treatments and
therapies, because these are health
provision. It is recognised that as the
use of Direct Payments develops, then
what they can be used for will also
The Assessment for Direct Payments
will take place through the CPA assessment
process (see page 28). The
Rowan Organisation (see page 21) is
the local service which supports people
with the Direct Payment scheme.
Aftercare under the
Mental Health Act
If you have been detained in hospital
under a Treatment Section of the
Mental Health Act (see page 11), the
Trust and Social Services have a duty to
provide you with after-care services
until they think you no longer need
them. What you need should be properly
negotiated with you and written
into your care plan before you leave
hospital. If you agree, a carer can also
be involved. These duties come from
Section 117 of the Mental Health Act
1983. People should not be charged
for any services which they receive
under this provision.
Guardianship under the Mental Health
Act gives the social services department
the power to require some
people with mental health problems to
live in a certain place, or to allow care
staff into their home, or to attend a
day centre or day hospital for day care.
People are placed under Guardianship
only after discussion with the care
team and recommendations by two
doctors and an Approved Social
Worker (see page 9). Guardianship
only lasts for a set period of time.
People placed under Guardianship
have the right to appeal to a Mental
Health Review Tribunal (see page 14)
to discharge the Guardianship.
Supervised Discharge
The Mental Health (Patients in the
Community) Act (1995) introduced the
new power of supervised discharge.
This can only be applied to those who
have been detained under a Treatment
Section (see page 11). The powers are
very similar to those of guardianship,
one addition being that if you are
under supervised discharge and refuse
to attend a specified place for care or
treatment, your supervisor has the
power to convey you there against
your will. Supervised discharge does
not include the power to give enforced
medical treatment outside hospital. It
is not used very often locally. People
placed under Supervised Discharge
have the right to appeal to a Mental
Health Review Tribunal to discharge
the order (see page 14).
Mental Health
General Practitioners (GPs)
Most of us will first contact our family
doctor (GP) if we have mental health
problems. Often the GP will help with
the treatment, but sometimes he or
she will refer us to someone else, such
as a counsellor (who may be based at
the practice) or to a psychiatrist.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who
have undertaken specialised training in
the treatment and care of people with
mental illness. The psychiatrist may
diagnose illness, prescribe medication
and other forms of appropriate treatment
and decide when to admit
people to, and discharge them from,
hospital. Some psychiatrists work
particularly with children and some
with older people. It is possible to see
a psychiatrist regularly as an outpatient
and this is a good opportunity for you
to raise any questions you have about
treatment or progress. You have to be
referred by your GP.
Nurses and Community
Psychiatric Nurses
Nurses can specialise as registered
mental nurses (RMNs), who may work
in a psychiatric hospital. Community
psychiatric nurses (CPNs) are generally
registered mental nurses who regularly
receive further training, employed by
the local NHS Trust to help people with
mental health problems in the
community. CPNs assess needs, and
plan, undertake and evaluate
programmes of care, using a variety of
approaches. These include counselling,
behavioural, cognitive, social, medical
and educational techniques. They
work with individuals, couples or families
and are based at hospitals, primary
health care centres, mental health
centres and resource centres. In
Cambridgeshire, many CPNs are part
of a community mental health team
(see page 42). You have to be referred
by your GP or another mental health
Social Workers
Social workers specialising in mental
health provide help, advice and information
to you and your family about a
range of practical problems (including
advice on housing and benefits). They
often refer people to hostels, day
centres and other sources of help, such
as self-help groups. Social Workers are
now part of the Community Mental
Health Teams.
Some social workers and Approved
Social Workers, which means they are
qualified to assess whether someone
needs to be admitted to hospital
compulsorily under the Mental Health
Act 1983 (see page 11).
To request a general social worker,
contact your local Social Services (see
Page 43) and talk to the duty officer or
ask for an appointment. If you are in
contact with the mental health services,
to request a mental health social
worker it is easiest to go through your
primary nurse if you are in hospital or
through the community mental health
team if you are at home.
Psychologists help children, adolescents,
adults and older people in
coping with emotional and behavioural
problems, difficult life crises and physical
and mental disabilities. They use a
variety of methods and work in health
centres, hospitals and out-patient
departments. They are often based
with community mental health teams.
You would normally be referred by a
GP or another health professional.
Occupational Therapists
Occupational therapists (OTs) help
people to learn or relearn skills, and
some specialise in working with people
with mental health problems. They can
help with everyday activities such as
planning a return to work, the use of
free time and becoming more effective
in performing daily tasks. OTs are part
of community mental health teams.
Community Support Workers
and Nursing Assistants
Nursing assistants work on wards
while community support workers
work in the community as part of
community mental health teams. Increasingly,
community support workers
have a professional qualification. They
provide practical and emotional
Psychotherapists and
The distinction between psychotherapists
and counsellors is not a clear one.
Psychotherapists have sometimes had
a primary training in one of the above
professions and in addition will have
received specialist psychotherapy training.
They can help people to be more
in control of their own lives by exploring
emotional difficulties and helping
them to understand themselves and
their relationships with others.
Psychotherapy can be both long and
short term, although there is a
tendency for more short-term psychotherapy
to be available, especially on
the NHS. Psychotherapists treat individuals,
couples and families. They may
have expertise in a particular form of
psychotherapy, for example psychodynamic
therapy or cognitive and behavioural
Although counsellors may also focus
on an individual’s means of coping
with life, they often specialise in
specific problems such as bereavement
or loss of employment. Referrals to a
psychotherapist or counsellor can be
made through your GP or through other
professional workers. Many counsellors
take self-referrals and work
privately. Some GP practices have
counsellors attached to the practice
and you may be able to have six counselling
sessions free on the NHS.
Art, Drama and Music
The value of the arts in helping someone
work through and recover from a
mental health problem is being
increasingly recognised in the mental
health services. You will often find
trained therapists attached to psychiatric
hospitals and day centres.
Speech Therapists
Speech therapists are specially trained to
help people to combat voice disorders,
such as stammering, and to develop
their social skills and their comprehension
and expression of language. They
work in general hospitals.
Physiotherapists specialising in mental
health, help people to recover from
physical illness or injury. They also
provide the opportunity to improve
physical and mental health through
exercise and relaxation techniques.
Community Nutritionist
Therapeutic diet advice and nutritional
support is given to referred in- and
out-patient units on an individual and
group basis. Special attention is given
to developing ways in which service
users can avoid weight gain secondary
to the effects of their prescribed
medication. Referrals are received at
Outpatients from both psychiatrists
and CPNs.
Support, Time and Recovery
(STR) Worker
A Support, Time and Recovery (STR)
Worker is someone who works as part
of a team that provides mental health
services. They work with service users,
helping them to lead as ordinary lives
as possible in whatever settings they
choose. An STR worker will provide
support to service users in various
ways, including providing regular and
practical support, helping to access
information and resources and support
people with daily living.
For more information please contact:
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital.
Telephone: 01223 218584.
Vocational Specialists
They are Occupational Therapists who
work in the community, day-services
and ward based teams. They have a
special interest in work, training and
At the time of writing this guide a new
Mental Health Act is proposed. One of
its more controversial points is the
introduction of Compulsory Treatment
Orders (CTOs) which would mean
people could be forced to take
medication in the community. This is
opposed by many, including Mind,
user groups, and many professionals.
Most people who have mental health
problems are treated in the community
or in hospital on a voluntary basis and
have the same rights as everyone else.
They are sometimes called ‘informal’
patients. A small number of people are
compulsorily detained under a section
of the Mental Health Act 1983, and
they have different rights. People who
are compulsorily detained are referred
to as ‘formal’ patients. Informal
patients can sometimes find that when
they attempt to leave they are held
under Section 5 and then become
formal patients.
The Mental Health Act of 1983 is very
complex and covers many different
areas, including compulsory admission
to hospital, consent to treatment and
the right of appeal, guardianship, and
patients’ involvement in criminal
proceedings. There is also a separately
published Code of Practice, which is
regularly updated. This gives a guide to
the implementation of the Act. It is
only possible to give a very brief guide
here to the most commonly used
sections (two, three, four, 135 and
136). Please note that you will need
advice in interpreting the Act and
should consult the Cambridgeshire
Independent Advocacy Service (see
page 16), your local Citizens Advice
Bureau (see page 17) or a solicitor
specialising in mental health. What
follows is not an authoritative statement
of the law.
To be assessed for compulsory admission
under the Act, the person must
firstly be suffering from a mental
disorder. This is defined by the Act to
mean ‘mental illness, arrested or
incomplete development of mind,
psychopathic disorder and any other
disorder or disability of mind.’
Section 2: Assessment,
28 days
A person may be detained for assessment
purposes for up to 28 days. The
grounds for this are that the patient is:
‘suffering from mental disorder of a
nature or degree which warrants the
detention of the patient in a hospital
for assessment (or for assessment
followed by medical treatment) for at
least a limited period; and he ought to
be so detained in the interests of his
own health or safety, or with a view to
the protection of other persons.’
Section 3: Treatment,
6 months
A person can be detained for treatment
for up to six months (and this
period can be renewed). The grounds
for this are that the patient is: ‘suffering
from mental illness, severe mental
impairment, psychopathic disorder or
mental impairment and his mental
disorder is of a nature or degree which
makes it appropriate for him to receive
medical treatment in hospital’ and ‘in
The Mental Health Act 1983 3
the case of psychopathic disorder or
mental impairment, such treatment is
likely to alleviate or prevent a deterioration
of his condition’ and ‘it is necessary
for the health or safety of the
patient or for the protection of other
persons, that he should receive such
treatment and it cannot be provided
unless he is detained under this section.’
With Sections 2 and 3 either an
Approved Social Worker (ASW) or, if
necessary and appropriate, a person’s
‘nearest relative’ can make an application.
This application must be
supported by the recommendations of
two registered medical practitioners. In
addition, under Section Three the
ASW must consult the ‘nearest relative’.
The application cannot proceed if
the nearest relative objects, although
court proceedings can be taken to
overrule a nearest relative who objects
If a patient’s nearest relative unreasonably
objects to admission under
Section 3, an application could be
made to the County Court under
Section 29 of the act for the functions
of the nearest relative to be transferred
to the local Social Services or another
With both Sections, the patient may
be discharged by one of:
• The Responsible Medical Officer
• The Hospital Managers
• The Nearest Relative – who must
give 72 hours notice to the hospital
managers, who in turn may overrule
the request. The RMO can refuse
the request on the grounds that
discharge would be dangerous to
the patient or to others. The nearest
relative can then bring the case
before a Mental Health Review
Tribunal. The onus of proof is then
on the RMO.
The patient may appeal to the Mental
Health Review Tribunal. Under
Section 2 this appeal must be made
within 14 days of detention. Under
Section 3 one appeal can be made
within the six month period.
Community Legal Service funding (not
means tested) is available to pay a
solicitor to represent someone at a
Tribunal. Patients may also appeal to
the Hospital Managers. It is important
to get advice (from the Citizens Advice
Bureau or the Cambridgeshire Independent
Advocacy Service) about the
wording of a letter to the managers
and about representation at a
managers’ meeting or a Tribunal.
Section 4: Emergency,
72 Hours
A person may be detained for assessment
purposes for up to 72 hours ‘in
any case of urgent necessity.’ In this
case the application is supported by
the recommendation of one registered
medical practitioner.
Section 135: Police,
72 hours
A police constable may enter into
premises, and remove a person to a
place of safety for up to 72 hours,
using force if need be.
This may only be used when an
approved social worker has obtained a
warrant from the Magistrates’ Court,
when there is reasonable reason to
suspect that a person in the premises is
being ill-treated, neglected, or not
being kept under proper control or is
living alone and unable to care for
Section 136: Police,
72 Hours
A police constable can remove someone
from a place to which the public
have access to a place of safety for up
to 72 hours, if the constable thinks
that the person is ‘suffering from
mental disorder and to be in immediate
need of care or control . . . in the
interests of that person or for the
protection of other persons.’
Consent to treatment
Informal patients over the age of 16
have the right to refuse treatment
except in the case of an emergency.
Formal (detained, ‘sectioned’) patients
under Sections 2 and 3 can be given
treatment without their consent in
certain circumstances. Special rules
apply to specific treatments such as
electro-convulsive treatment (ECT) and
Rights of the nearest
If you are the nearest relative of someone
affected by a mental disorder you
have certain rights:
• The right to ask an Approved
Social Worker to assess your relative
for compulsory admission to
psychiatric hospital.
• The right to apply for your relative
to be admitted compulsorily to psychiatric
hospital. This application
must be accompanied by two
medical recommendations, one at
least from a psychiatrist.
• The right to refuse consent for
your relative to be compulsorily
admitted to hospital under Section
3 (though this right can be
removed by the courts).
• The right to discharge your relative
if they are compulsorily detained in
psychiatric hospital.
The Mental Health Act lists, in order of
importance, who is considered to be
the nearest relative under the law.
Patients at present do not have the
right to make a choice as to who
they wish to be their nearest relative.
Your right to
Under Section 132 the managers of a
hospital have the duty to provide a
formal patient with information on:
• The section she or he is detained
• His or her right to apply to a
Mental Health Review Tribunal and
/or appeal to the hospital managers
• His or her right to be discharged
• Consent to treatment rules
• Correspondence rules
• The Mental Health Act
Commission, its obligation to protect
detained patients and its codes
of practice.
Mental Health Review Tribunals
Block 2
Spur Q North
Government Buildings
Honey Pot Lane
Middlesex HA7 1AY
Telephone: 020 7972 1024
These independent tribunals, which
hear patients’ appeals, are made up of
three people, a lawyer, a psychiatrist
and a lay person with relevant qualifications
or skills. Patients can either
make their own case or have the right
to representation. Anyone can act as
representative for the patient, though
special skills would clearly be an
advantage and some solicitors are
experienced in this area. Community
Legal Service Funding is available to
employ a solicitor and this is usually
advisable. The Law Society has a panel
of Solicitors who are able and willing
to represent patients, and only
Solicitors who are experienced, and
have contact with the Community
Legal Service, can do this work under
public funding. All hospital wards and
social service departments should be
able to show people a list of these
Solicitors. On hearing the evidence the
tribunal decides whether to discharge
the patient. A formal advocate (see the
Cambridgeshire Independent
Advocacy Service page 17) can also
offer support or represent a person
who is appealing.
Since November 2001 there has been
a change in the law which means that
the Mental Health Review Tribunal
must discharge a patient unless, in
evidence, the detaining authority can
satisfy the Tribunal that the continuation
of the section is justified according
to the law. Prior to this, the burden of
proof rested with the patient who had
to satisfy the Tribunal that the section
should be discharged. This change has
come about as a result of the Human
Rights Act, and may be subject to
alteration when further reviewed by
Parliament (the review of Mental
Health Law is ongoing).
Managers’ Appeals
Under section 23 of the Mental Health
Act patients who are detained in
hospital have a right to appeal to the
hospital managers. The hospital
managers have the power to discharge
the person from the detention order if
it is considered the criteria for detention
are no longer met. When someone
is detained, rights of appeal will be
given both verbally and in writing and
more than once if necessary. If you
need more information, speak to the
nursing staff on the ward or to the
Cambridgeshire Independent Advocacy
Service, the Citizens Advice Bureau or
Medical Records staff.
Mental Health Act Commission
Maid Marion House
56 Hounds Gate
Nottingham NG1 6BG
Telephone: 0115 943 7100
This is a special health authority authorised
to keep under review all aspects
of the care of patients detained under
the Mental Health Act. It can investigate
complaints, arrange second opinions
under the Mental Health Act on
consent to treatment provisions and is
responsible for monitoring the Mental
Health Act Code of Practice. It cannot
discharge a patient from hospital. A
patient can make a complaint to the
Commission about anything that has
happened to him or her while
detained. The complaint should be
made to the hospital management in
the first instance. However, when a
complaint is about being compulsorily
detained it can be made directly to the
Commission. In both instances the
Commission will decide whether to
investigate the complaint.
Legal Advice and
If you need legal advice on the Mental
Health Act or would like a list of solicitors
in the Cambridge area who deal
with Tribunals and other mental health
matters (such as Lindsay Messenger.
Telephone: 01223 508860) contact the
Cambridge Citizens’ Advice Bureau
(see page 21), the Cambridgeshire
Independent Advocacy Service
(CIAS) (see page 16) or Lifecraft (see
page 4).
Lifecraft and the CIAS have booklets
about the Mental Health Act, copies of
the Act itself and the Code of Practice.
Advocacy is about having a voice in
whatever situation you may face,
whether or not you are – or have been
– in hospital. It’s about helping you get
the right information and support to
be able to make choices about the
services or treatment you receive,
whoever provides them. It’s about
being listened to and taking control of
where you are – and where you want
to be.
All forms of Advocacy are about
empowerment. Empowerment means
people speaking up for themselves
and for their rights, by making their
views heard and helping them gain
control over their lives.
There are two kinds of Advocacy for
people living in Cambridge who have
difficulties with mental health, both
provided by Cambridgeshire Independent
Advocacy Service (see
Individual Advocacy
Individual Advocacy is a form of confidential
one-to-one work, which aims
to help individuals protect their rights
and meet their obligations – through
providing information, assistance and
representation. People in hospital or in
the community who consider that they
have issues with mental ill-health can
ask for the support of an independent
Mental Health Advocate. Advocates
seek to empower their clients, by
supporting them in trying to obtain
the services that they want, and in
asserting their rights.
Advocates deal with a broad range of
issues from mental health rights,
appeals and tribunals to present and
future care/treatment/medication,
from access to medical records and
housing rights to financial difficulties
and welfare benefits. They can contact
solicitors and liaise with them on their
clients’ behalf, and they assist with
writing letters and completing forms.
Advocates are either paid workers or
skilled advocacy volunteers, both operating
entirely independently of the
mental health system. When an advocate
represents the interests of a client,
the client specifies what he or she
wishes the advocate to say or do by
agreeing a plan of action. Unless the
client wants otherwise, the views of
anyone else and other considerations
do not influence that plan.
Group Advocacy
Group Advocacy is where users of
mental health services come together
in confidential groups. They discuss
services independently of who
provides the services, saying what is
good or less good about them, and
what could be done to improve them.
Agreed comments from each group
are then passed on to service
managers so that improvements can
be considered in the services that they
provide. Group Advocacy is a way of
involving people more effectively: it
gives them a say about the services
that they receive, and the power to
seek to influence things that they
would like changed.
4 Advocacy, Information and Advice
Cambridgeshire Independent
Advocacy Service (CIAS)
PO Box 322
Therapy Resource Centre
Fulbourn Hospital
Telephone: 01223 218500
Fax: 01223 246683
Cambridgeshire Independent
Advocacy service provides a free, independent
and confidential service for
anyone with a mental health issue
between the ages of 17-65. They
support people with mental health
issues to speak up for their rights,
either individually or as part of a
group. The service is client led, which
means that you decide what level of
involvement you want the advocate to
have in supporting you when you
need help. They are able to provide
information, assistance and representation
in all areas of your life where
you are having trouble getting your
views heard. This can include mental
health and other health care services,
housing, social services, family and
child care issues and employment.
Their group advocacy involves facilitating
service user meetings in the hospital
and community, ensuring that
service users get their collective views
across to mental health service
providers. Leave a message if you get
the answerphone and an advocate will
return your call as soon as possible.
Speaking Up
1a Fortescue Road
Telephone: 01223 516736
Fax: 01223 516638
They are a charity provider of advocacy
services for people who experience
learning difficulties, mental ill health
and other disabilities. They’re advocates.
They make sure that people
who have no say in their lives because
of their difficulties get heard and
involved. They are social entrepreneurs
with an established reputation for
innovation and quality in running
training courses and events with other
organisations who want to understand,
consult and involve Service
Users. They run Active Voices – a range
of energetic initiatives, such as Next
Steps and the Service Users’
Parliament, that empower people to
find their voice and shape their own
lives. Through their Advocacy, Training
and Consultancy and Active Voices,
Speaking Up has a lot of work to do in
lots of places. They are growing, developing
their services and expanding
United Kingdom Advocacy
Network (UKAN)
14-18 West Bar Green
S1 2DA
Telephone: 0114 272 8171
This is a service-user-run network of
advocacy groups in the UK. It provides
information, training and support for
local groups and campaigns for
improvements to mental health services.
They also support Patients
Councils and User Forums.
There are several things you can do if
you have a complaint against a mental
health service or health professional.
The main services have their own
complaints procedures, but you could
contact independent organisations if
you want some help and support in
making your complaint.
The Cambridgeshire Independent
Advocacy Service (see page 16) could
help you to make a complaint about
mental health services or you could
contact PALS or the Citizens Advice
Patient Advice and Liaison
Service (PALS)
Telephone: 01480 398555
A confidential voicemail service is available
if a member of the PALS team is
unable to take your call immediately.
PALS provide confidential advice,
information and support to help
resolve your concerns about our services.
PALS can guide you through the
services available in the NHS, the Trust
and other local organisations. PALS
also help the Trust to learn from your
PALS in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Mental Health Partnership
NHS Trust and other NHS Trusts and
Primary Care Trusts work together to
ensure that the services are comprehensive
and able to respond quickly,
wherever the issues are raised to
ensure that appropriate action is taken
and that the relevant Trust can learn
from the experience. Any member of
staff can provide information about
the Trust PALS.
If you wish to make a complaint about
the care you have received from
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Mental Health Partnership NHS
Trust, or a complaint about the care of
a member of your family, please
contact the local service or write to the:
Complaints Co-ordinator
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Mental Health Partnership NHS
Kingfisher House
Kingfisher Way
Hinchingbrooke Business Park
Huntingdon PE29 6FH
Telephone: 01480 398631
Fax: 01480 398501
Patients who are detained under the
Mental Health Act 1983 can also
complain to the Mental Health Act
Commission, telephone 0115 9437100.
Complaints about GPs,
Dentists, Pharmacists and
All family practitioners (GPs, dentists,
pharmacists and opticians) must investigate
patient complaints according to
the NHS complaints procedures. If you
have a complaint, you can approach
the practice directly or you can contact
the Customer Services Department for
impartial advice and information.
Customer Services/Complaints
Anglia Support Partnership
18 Vinery Road
Cambridge CB1 3DX
Telephone/Fax: 01223 477760
The Customer Services Department
can also provide a trained mediator to
help you resolve the complaint if you
or the practitioner feel that this would
help. The Cambridgeshire
Independent Advocacy Service can
help you make your complaint.
comments about social care
If you have a complaint/suggestion/
comment about the social care services
you receive, you should contact the
person who actually provides the service
(you can find out who that is from
the Cambridgeshire Direct 0845 045
5202). If you are not satisfied you can
write to the manager of the service
concerned or send your complaint to:
Jenny Pandre
Customer Care Manager
Customer Services Unit
Office of Children and Young
People’s Services
Shire Hall
Cambridge CB3 0AP
You may also write to:
Chief Executive
Cambridgeshire County Council
Shire Hall
Cambridge CB3 0AP
They will respond within ten working
days. If you are still not satisfied after
they have replied, you have the right to
proceed to the next stage to make
your complaint formal. Tell the
Customer Care Manager why you are
not satisfied with the response to your
complaint and what you would like
them to investigate. If you are not
satisfied following this (the investigation
stage) you can proceed to stage
three which is an independent review
of your complaint.
If you are still unhappy you can contact
the local Government Ombudsman:
Mr J White
The Oaks
Westwood Way
Westwood Business Park
Coventry CV4 8JB
Telephone: 0845 6021983 (Advice
Line) open Monday to Friday, 9.00am-
The ombudsman will not usually
consider your complaint until you have
used all three stages of the Social
Services Complaints Procedure. For
further advice about making a
complaint to the local government
ombudsman call the Advice Line.
The Disability
Discrimination Act 1995
This Act gives disabled people (including
people with mental health problems)
new rights in the areas of
employment, buying goods and services
and buying or renting property. It
also enables the Government to set
minimum standards for accessible
transport (for example, ensuring that
all licensed taxis are accessible) and
requires schools, colleges and education
authorities to provide information
about facilities for disabled students.
The Act falls short of the full civil rights
legislation for disabled people that
campaigning groups have called for,
but does go some way towards tackling
The Disability Rights Commission will
help people gain redress if they believe
they have been discriminated against.
For information on this contact the
Disability Rights Commission
Contact Centre Telephone: 08457
It is against the law for employers of
more than 15 people to discriminate
against a person because of their
disability. Service providers such as
shops and restaurants or healthcare
providers must offer equal treatment
to all, as must people selling or letting
Sources of independent
information and advice
Lifecraft Mental Health
Information Centre
The Bath House
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone: 01223 566957
Lifeline: 0808 808 2121 (FREEPHONE)
Fax: 01223 505932
Lifecraft’s Information Service is open
from 12 noon - 6.45pm Monday to
Friday. You can call in person or phone
to get information on all aspects of
mental health, from specific illnesses
and treatments to details of local
resources, including self-help groups.
Our trained staff also provide support
and can help you to contact other
agencies. Our telephone helpline,
Lifeline (see page 32) is open from
7.00pm-11.00pm 365 days a year and
provides support and information. For
details of Lifecraft’s other services see
page 4.
NHS Direct
Telephone: 0845 46 47
NHS Direct is a 24-hour confidential
healthcare advice and information
helpline. You can speak directly, and in
confidence, to experienced nurses and
professional advisors about any health
problem or enquiry. Using their skills
and experience, together with a
comprehensive computer system, NHS
Direct can provide you with advice on
what to do next.
If you need general information about
local health services or more in-depth
information about a particular health
condition that may be worrying you or
a family member, NHS Direct staff can
get you the help and information you
need quickly.
Calls charged at BT local rates. For
patients’ safety all calls are recorded.
For those whose preferred language is
not English, there is the choice of a
confidential translation service.
Dental Helpline
Telephone: 01223 415126
Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 1.00pm. At
other times contact NHS Direct.
Information/advisory service for all
types of dentistry. They hold a list of
where people can register for National
Health Treatment in Cambridgeshire.
Also they are able to inform people
where they may be able to get emergency
dental treatment.
The Rowan Organisation
Rowan House
Lime Tree Courtyard
Main Road
Ratcliffe Culey CV9 3PD
Telephone: 0800 7831755(FREEPHONE)
Minicom available
The Rowan Organisation is the support
service which can help you with Direct
Payments. By contacting the organisation,
you can arrange for one of their
Independent Living Advisors to visit
you and tell you how Direct Payments
could help you. The Advisors can
• Information about the Direct
Payment scheme
• Support to access the scheme
• Support in recruiting workers and
other related issues.
There is no charge for this service, they
are there to help you. The Rowan
Organisation is committed to enabling
people to live independently and take
control of their lives by providing
support, advice and information. The
service is independent and confidential.
Advice Agencies
Citizens Advice Bureau
They offer free, independent, confidential
help and advice on many
subjects, including family and personal
problems, debts, consumer queries,
employment law, social security benefits,
housing and landlord/tenant
disputes. Help with form filling and
letter writing. Home visits for housebound
people in Cambridge and interpreters
where appropriate. County
Court representation (for debt) and
advice on Social Security Appeal
Tribunals, Medical Appeal Tribunals,
and Industrial Tribunals.
Cambridge Citizens Advice
72/74 Newmarket Road
Cambridge CB5 8DZ
Telephone: 01223 222660
Fax: 01223 222661
Web address:
Bureau opening hours: Monday,
Tuesday and Friday 9.30am- 4.30pm,
Saturday 10.00am-12 noon.
Also at the following places and times:
Addenbrooke’s Hospital, off the
Concourse. Telephone: 01223 217808.
Open Monday, Wednesday and
Thursday 10.00am-3.00pm and Friday
John Huntingdon House, Tannery
Road, Sawston. Friday 9.30am-
As well as the usual range of free,
independent and impartial advice on
your rights, the Bureau also employs a
specialist mental health worker, Sonia
Archdale (Tuesday to Friday) who can
help with money advice, benefits and
other issues. She makes weekly visits
to Fulbourn Hospital (Wednesday
Ely Citizens Advice Bureau
70 Market Street
Cambs CB7 4LS
Telephone: 08707 510933
Fax: 01353 669308
Open Monday, Wednesday and
Thursday 9.15am-1.30pm; Tuesday
and Friday by appointment only. Open
first and third Saturdays in the month
from 10.00am-12noon.
Newmarket Citizens Advice
Foley Gate
Wellington Street,
Newmarket CB8 0HY
Telephone: 01638 665999
Fax: 01638 668111
Open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
9.30am-2.30pm, no appointment
necessary. Friday 9.30am-2.30pm telephone
advice only.
Cambridge Independent Advice
41 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 2AW
Telephone: 01223 712222
Fax: 01223 712294
Free, confidential advice on welfare
benefits, debt, employment, housing
and immigration. Open for people to
drop in Monday to Thursday,
10.00am-1.00pm. Home visits can be
arranged for people who are housebound.
You can ring or write to
arrange appointments or home visits.
Directions Plus
1 Orwell Furlong, Cowley Road
Cambridge CB4 0WY
Telephone: 01223 569600 (Advice
Fax: 01223 506470
The Advice Line is open Monday to
Friday, 10.00am-12.30pm and 1.00pm
- 4.00pm.
Directions Plus is affiliated to DIAL UK.
It offers advice and information to
disabled people and carers on all
matters relating to disability issues
including benefits, employment, the
Disability Discrimination Act and social
care. We can help with initial benefit
applications (particularly those for
disability living allowance) and are able
to support and represent clients wanting
to contest unfavourable Benefits
Agency decisions.
Drop in service Addenbrooke’s
Hospital Advice Centre Tuesday and
Friday, 1.00-3.00pm. Drop in, but
appointments can be arranged.
Mental Health Websites
1 in 4 form
BBC Online: Mental Health
Borderline UK
Connects: the mental health and
learning disabilities portal
Critical Psychiatry Network
Directgov: government information
on mental health issues
Eating Disorders Association (EDA)
First Steps to Freedom
Hearing Voices Network
Mad Pride
Mental Health Care
Mental Health Foundation
Mental Health in Later Life
Mental Health Media
Mental Health Trainers Network
National Electronic Library for
Mental Health
National Phobics Society
National Self Harm Network
No Panic
OCD Action
Revolving Doors Agency
Sainsbury Centre for Mental
Schizophrenia Association for
Great Britain
Speak Up!
Tizard Centre
Triumph Over Phobia
UK Advocacy Network (UKAN)
Us As Experts
Zito Trust
Stigma and discrimination is one of the
biggest barriers for people with a mental
health problem. There is a lot of work
going on to promote positive mental
health, to raise awareness of mental
health issues, and allow those with
mental health problems to be included
in all aspects of the community.
Many user groups are taking an active
role in raising awareness and challenging
stigma. The media are constantly
being challenged when there is negative
reporting on mental health issues
and many are actively working with
the press to ensure the reporting is
In 2004 the Social Exclusion Unit
published its report ‘Mental Health
and Social Exclusion’. The report
shows that there is a lot of work to do
in many areas, this includes challenging
stigma, supporting more people
with mental health problems to be
employed, access to adequate housing
etc. Lifecraft actively challenges stigma
through the work of the Campaign’s
As well as Challenging Stigma and
discrimination, a lot of work is going
on to promote and support one’s own
mental health. There is some current
work going on in Cambridge around
Recovery. For more information please
see ‘Working Together’ below.
‘Working Together’, Cambridge
Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
Mental Health Partnership NHS
Elizabeth House
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218738
Fax: 01223 218956
Contact the Project Manager or
Jeremy Symes
C/o Cambridge Regional College
Telephone: 01223 532283
This local initiative brings together
people who use local mental health
services, staff who work in the mental
health field from any organisation or
professional background and people
who support users on an unpaid basis.
‘Working Together’ aims to promote
good practice in user involvement,
multi-agency partnerships and mental
health promotion through sharing
information and hosting collaborative
events on a range of mental health
topics. There are regular opportunities
for involvement. Information sharing
lunches are held quarterly and are
open to all.
The concept of recovery has developed
since the 1980s when service users
began publishing their own accounts
about the course of their lives following
a diagnosis of severe mental illness.
Literature is available, and there is also
policy guidance to support the
concept of recovery being embraced
within services.
What is Recovery?
There are a number of key messages
emerging from the literature about the
recovery concept:
5 Mental Health Promotion, Stigma and
Recovery is a process – not an end in
itself, but rather an individual journey
which for each person is different and
deeply personal.
Recovery is not specific to mental
health problems: everyone faces the
challenge of recovery in life ie. loss of a
loved one, trauma and illness.
Recovery is not the same as cure eg;
that all symptoms have been removed
and suffering ceases but rather that
they interfere less with the person’s
Recovery is about growth, taking
responsibility and taking back control
over ones life.
Recovery can, and does occur without
professional intervention: there are
many paths including the choice not to
be involved with the mental health
Having a recovery vision does not limit
to a particular theory about the causes
of mental health problems: it does not
commit to a social, psychological, spiritual
or medical model nor to the use
or non-use of medical intervention.
Recovery is not linear: relapse is seen
as part of the recovery process.
Work embracing the ‘Recovery’
concept is going on locally. A website
is being developed to further promote
recovery in the Cambridge Locality.
The address is www.workingtogether
The organisations and groups listed
are some of those groups that are
working for positive mental health.
Southern Cambridgeshire Mental
Health Promotion Group
Cambridge City and South
Cambridgeshire Primary Care
Nightingale Court
Ida Darwin, Fulbourn
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 885792 (Public
health administration)
Contact the Mental Health Promotion
The work of this multi-agency group is
focused around:
• Promoting mental health for all,
working with individuals and communities.
• Combating discrimination against
individuals and groups with mental
health problems, and promoting
their social inclusion.
A number of areas of priority have
been identified including approaches
and target groups and a mental health
promotion strategy has been developed.
The group takes a strategic and
active role in developing local mental
health promotion work and aims to
deliver on national policy.
The Sainsbury Centre for Mental
134-138 Borough High Street
London SE1 1LB
Telephone: 020 7716 6777
Fax: 020 7716 6774
mentality is the first national team
dedicated solely to the promotion of
mental health.
NIMHE Eastern
654 The Crescent
Colchester Business Park
Colchester CO4 9YQ
Telephone: 01206 287593
Fax: 01206 287597
NIMHE Eastern is one of eight development
centres, which are part of
NIMHE, the National Institute for
Mental Health in England. Eastern
region covers the six counties of
Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex,
Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.
Their aim is to work in partnership
with local mental health communities
throughout the Eastern region to
support local implementation of
national mental health policy and
mental health service improvement.
The National Institute for Mental
Health in England is committed to
tackling the stigma and discrimination
that often surround mental health.
NIMHE, in collaboration with the
Disability Rights Commission, run the
Shift initiative in England to tackle
stigma and discrimination surrounding
mental health issues. Their aim is to
create a society where people who
experience mental health problems
enjoy the same rights as other people.
Mental Health Media
356 Holloway Road
London N7 6PA
Telephone: 020 7700 8171
Fax: 020 7686 0959
Mental Health Media is a unique
organisation working in the fields of
communication and mental health.
Through their expertise in video and
multimedia production, media relations
and marketing, they promote the
voice of mental health service users.
Mental Health Media’s work challenges
the misinformation and negative
stereotypes which surround
mental distress.
15-19 Broadway
London E15 4BQ
Telephone: 020 8519 2122
Fax: 020 8522 1725
Information helpline: MindinfoLine
0845 766 0163. Open Monday to
Friday 9.15am to 5.15pm.
Mind is a leading mental health charity
in England and Wales. They work to
create a better life for everyone who
experiences mental distress by:
advancing the views, needs and ambitions
of people with mental health
problems; challenging discrimination
and promoting inclusion; influencing
policy through campaigning and
education; inspiring the development
of quality services which reflect
expressed need and diversity; achieving
equal rights through campaigning
and education.
Diverse Minds (See page 108) is
designed to make mental health services
more responsive to the needs of
black and minority ethnic communities.
Rural Minds aims to improve mental
health for people in isolated rural
Mind Link- is a network for users of
mental health services – drawing
support and developing skills from
shared experience and access to training.
The Mental Health Foundation
UK Office,
20 Upper Ground,
London SE1 9QB.
Telephone: 020 7803 1100
Fax: 020 7803 1111
The Mental Health Foundation, incorporating
the Foundation for People
with Learning Disabilities, was established
in 1949. It is a UK organisation
with Main Offices in London and
A leading UK charity working in
mental health and learning disabilities.
With pioneering research and community
projects they aim to improve the
support available for people with
mental health problems and people
with learning disabilities.
The Sainsbury Centre for Mental
134-138 Borough High Street
London SE1 1LB
Telephone: 020 7827 8300
Fax: 020 7403 9482
The Sainsbury Centre for Mental
Health (SCMH) is a charity that works
to improve the quality of life for people
with severe mental health problems. It
carries out research, development and
training work to influence policy and
practice in health and social care.
User Involvement
User Involvement is about promoting
the voice of service users. There are
many ways to do this. User involvement
is important to ensure that service
users are able to influence decision
making. This includes being involved in
decision making processes in order to
make services more user friendly. User
Involvement also promotes the rights
and interests of service users. All
involvement should be meaningful.
There are many local and national
initiatives that promote service user
What is going on locally?
South Cambridgeshire User
Forum (SCUF)
The Bath House
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone: 01223 566957
SCUF is for service users and ex-users
of adult mental health services in
Cambridge City and South Cambs,
managed by Lifecraft. SCUF meets once
a month, in a non mental health setting
and all local users of mental health are
welcome to attend. The group aims to
be friendly and supportive.
SCUF is the independent local forum,
where service users can talk openly
and freely about the services that are
provided and the experiences of such
services, and any particular issues that
may affect them locally and nationally.
The meetings are informal and there is
no pressure on members to contribute
to discussions. As well as meetings, the
notes are circulated to a wider
membership and feedback from those
who are unable to attend is brought
back to the group. Some recent topics
for discussion have included: The Care
Programme Approach (CPA), Direct
Payments and the draft Mental
Health Bill. SCUF submitted responses
to the Bill as evidence for the parliamentary
scrutiny committee.
SCUF is able to send representatives to
local meetings of the local Primary
Care Trust. Members attend on behalf
of the group to feed back views and
help plan and make services more
service user friendly. Some of the
meetings attended are about issues
including housing, employment,
community services and mental health
User Trainer Project
Cambridgeshire and
Peterborough Mental Health
Partnership NHS Trust
Block 14
Ida Darwin
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 884106
Fax: 01223 884354
The purpose of the project is to train,
support and develop the skills of service
users, training and assisting them in
pursuit of an NVQ in Training. The
project begins by selecting a small
cohort of service users. Instructing
them on basic mental health knowledge
and then developing their teaching
abilities, so they can deliver a
variety of mental health courses form a
service users perspective. The aim is to
educate staff, clinicians and any
agency or organisation that comes
into contact with service users,
enabling them to better understand a
service users perspective.
Other ways to get involved: The Trust
also has a User Involvement strategy
and seeks User Representation on various
committees countywide. There are
also user and carer advisers to the Trust
User Adviser to the Trust
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Mental Health Partnership Trust has a
part-time (five days a month) user
adviser to the Board, in order to ensure
that users’ concerns are raised at
Board level. The post-holder keeps in
regular contact with the local user
forums and also with advocacy services
and other user involvement workers.
The adviser works from home and
you can get up-to-date contact details
from the SCUF facilitator or from the
Trust directly.
User Involvement goes further than
attendance at meetings and should be
an integral part of all services. Service
Users should be at the centre of all
their care and this is being promoted
through a project and professionals are
an integral part of ensuring that it is
centred on the person (CPA).
Other ways to get involved and have
an impact on services are through the
Patient and Public Involvement in
Health forums. (PPIs)
Each forum is made of up of volunteers
in their local community who are
enthusiastic about helping patients
and members of the public influence
the way that local healthcare is organised
and delivered. Forum members
come from a broad variety of backgrounds
and have a range of experience
and skills.
There are a number of these forums in
the area:
Patient & Public Involvement in
Health Forum for Cambridgeshire
and Peterborough Mental Health
Cambridgeshire ACRE
E-Space North
181 Wisbech Road
Cambs CB6 1RA
Telephone: 01353 865353 or
0845 0093477
They are a group of local people who
are interested and enthusiastic about
the health of our local community,
making sure that the Cambs &
Peterborough Mental Health Partnership
NHS Trust is able to provide for
their needs effectively, efficiently and
These are the other local forums which
are concerned with health services in
Papworth Hospital PPI Forum
Addenbrooke’s PPI Forum
Cambridge City PPI Forum
South Cambridgeshire PPI Forum
Forum Support Organisation
91 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 7BS
Telephone: 01223 713011
Fax: 01223 478140
If someone is in a crisis and needs to
get help urgently then the GP should
be contacted, whether this is during
the day or at night. If the person is
supported by the local community
mental health team, the team office
can be contacted during office hours
(see below). Obviously if someone has
taken an overdose of pills, or any other
hazardous substances you should get
them to the Accident and Emergency
Department of your local hospital as
soon as possible, if necessary by
dialling 999 to get an ambulance.
If the person in crisis is on the Care
Programme Approach (page 6) the
care plan should say clearly what to
do and who to contact in a crisis.
Accident and Emergency
Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 217118 (Direct Line)
Fax: 01223 217057
Acute General and Speciality Hospital
Emergency Department is a 24-hour
service to provide emergency assessment
and treatment. All GP surgeries
are covered by an out-of-hours service
and consideration should be given to
using the GP service for non-threatening
Accident and Emergency
Hinchingbrooke Healthcare NHS
Hinchingbrooke Park
Telephone: 01480 416416
Some people in southern Cambridgeshire
would go to Hinchingbrooke
rather than Addenbrooke’s. They also
have a 24-hour service.
Out-of-hours GP service
Telephone: 01223 464242
This service operates evenings and
weekends when your local GP surgery
is closed. If you feel you need to
consult a doctor urgently you can ring
the above number and a doctor will
assess your situation.
North City Community Mental
Health Team
Contact the Team Manager
South City Community Mental
Health Team
Contact the Team Manager
Both teams are at
Auckland Road Health Clinic
Auckland Road
Cambridge CB5 8DW
Telephone: 01223 533300
Phone before 9.00am-5.00pm
Mondays to Thursdays and 9.00am-
4.30pm Fridays. Clients should phone
rather than call in person unless they
have an appointment.
The North City CMHT covers the GP
surgeries that lie on the North of the
City and the South City CMHTs covers
the GP surgeries that lie on the South
of the City.
The teams consists of CPNs, Social
Workers an Occupational Therapist,
Support Worker and a Psychologist.
The teams offers a wide range of services
and interventions to service users
with mental health needs. They work
6 Help in a Crisis
very closely with the sector psychiatrists,
the inpatient wards and local GP
surgeries. Assessments, regular home
visits, medication management, financial
and housing advice, psychological
treatments and group work are available
within the team. The teams have
a strong commitment to collaborative
working and promote a recovery
philosophy. Service users are currently
seen at Auckland Road Health Centre
but later this year all appointments will
be at The Laurels, 20 Newmarket
Road. This former GP surgery has been
recently taken over by the Cambridge
mental health services and is centrally
Out of Hours Services, for
those in a crisis
The Weekend Service
Telephone: 01223 219122
The Weekend Service is a service for
people in the City of Cambridge and
South Cambs District. The service is
staffed by Community Psychiatric
Nurses and Social Workers from all the
Community Teams and provides
advice, support and information for
users and carers of local mental health
services. If you are currently seeing or
have previously seen someone in the
Community Mental Health Teams,
CAMEO, Complex Needs Service,
Forensic Service or the Young Peoples
Psychiatric Service you or your carer
can use this service. If you have not
seen anyone in your local mental
health service you can still use it but do
need to be referred by your GP. The
service is open 9.00am-5.00pm
Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Crisis Resolution and Home
Treatment Team
This team will hopefully be up and
running by the end of 2006, and will
be able to support people in their own
homes, and deal with ‘crisis’. It is
hoped that this will enable people
where possible to stay in their homes
to receive the support and care they
need, instead of being admitted to
For more information please contact
Bob Thompson, telephone Cambridge
East Cambs Community Mental
Health Team
The Croylands Centre
30 Cambridge Road
Cambs CB7 4HL
Telephone: 01353 616044
Fax: 01353 616055
Contact the Team Leader.
Hours 9.00am-5.00pm Monday to
Thursday, 9.00am-4.30pm on Friday.
Sawston Community Mental
Health Team
University Arms Office
Box 70a, 84 London Road
Cambs CB2 4XE
Telephone: 01223 830270
Phone 9.00am-5.00pm Monday to
Thursday, or 9.00am-4.30pm Friday.
Out of hours the Emergency Duty
Team can be contacted.
Histon Community Mental
Health Team
Box 350, Elizabeth House
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218604 / 218962
Hours 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday to
The Emergency Duty Team
Park House
Shire Hall
Cambridge CB3 0AP
Telephone: 01733 234724
The team is made up of social workers
who have very wide duties, but they
are also Approved Social Workers and
if a person needs to be ‘sectioned’
under the Mental Health Act 1983 (see
page 9) outside normal working hours,
the Emergency Duty Team will be
called. In a mental health crisis they
will only visit people’s homes if it seems
likely that sectioning will be necessary,
but they will give advice over the
phone in other cases.
The Cambridgeshire Emergency
Duty Team are contactable via an
answering service on 01733 234724,
outside normal office hours, from
5.20pm-8.45am Mondays to
Thursdays and from 4.25pm on
Fridays, throughout the weekend and
until 8.45am on Mondays, or Tuesday
if Monday is a bank holiday.
Telephone help when
you are feeling
There are numbers you can call if you
are feeling desperate or in need of
support but do not think it is appropriate
to call your GP:
The Cambridgeshire Mental
Health Helpline
(A Lifecraft Service)
Telephone: 0808 808 2121 (FREEPHONE)
7.00pm-11.00pm, 365 days a year
(24-hour answerphone at all other
Our trained volunteers are on line to
support people experiencing
emotional distress to provide:
• Someone to talk to
• Emotional support
• Guidance through a crisis
• Liaison with other agencies
• Information on local and national
resources, treatment, patients
rights, self-help groups etc.
• Someone who cares, someone
who listens.
The Cambridge Samaritans
4 Emmanuel Road
Cambridge CB1 1JW
Telephone: 01223 364455 or 08457
909090 (helpline)
The Samaritans have trained volunteers
who will listen to people who are
distressed, in despair or contemplating
suicide, 24-hours a day, 365 days a
year. They will offer a sympathetic,
non-judgmental listening ear.
You can call round in person 10.30am-
10.30pm or you can phone the
Samaritans on their 24-hour helpline
above. Alternatively you can email
them at or write
to PO Box 9090, Stirling FK8 2SA
Trained volunteers will provide
emotional support and information on
mental health issues from 12 noon-
11pm Monday to Friday and 12 noon-
6.00pm Saturday and Sunday. Ring
08457 678 000 (all calls charged at
local rate). This is run by the national
organisation SANE (see page 62)
Lifecraft Social Club
The Bath House
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone: 01223 509179 (Social
Club phone, during opening hours
If you are feeling lonely you can
become a Lifecraft member and come
to the Social Club: Monday to
Thursday 4.00pm-7.00pm; Friday to
Sunday, 1.00pm-7.00pm.
Sometimes if you have mental health
problems, you will find it difficult or
impossible to carry on with your
normal life in the community and will
need to spend time as an in-patient in
a psychiatric hospital. If you are there
for a relatively short time (up to six
months but usually less), you will stay
on an acute ward. If you need to stay
for longer, you may stay on one of the
rehabilitation wards. Referral to hospital
will always be through a health
professional, perhaps a GP or a
member of one of the community
mental health teams. If you think you
or a relative or friend need to spend
time in hospital, you should contact
your GP.
When someone does not realise that
he or she is ill, and their condition
poses a threat to their health, their
safety or that of others, he or she may
be admitted to hospital without their
consent under the Mental Health Act
1983 (see page 11).
In Cambridge, psychiatric in-patient care
is provided on the NHS by Cambridgeshire
and Peterborough Mental Health
Partnership NHS Trust. This is on two
sites, Fulbourn Hospital and
Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Acute psychiatric inpatient
There are three acute psychiatric wards
where people go for short periods -
which one you go to will depend on
where you live. Two of the wards are at
Fulbourn Hospital, Fulbourn, Cambridge:
Adrian House Ward
Telephone: 01223 218557
Fax: 01223 218662
Patients’ phone: 01223 218521
Contact the Charge Nurse
There are 24 beds for people living in
Ely and in the villages around
Cambridge City. Some of these beds
are for people with problems around
substance misuse. There is a team of
nurses and doctors as well as the services
of social workers, art therapist,
dance therapist, psychologists and
physiotherapists. The ward approach is
about informality, collaboration with
patients and a deeply held belief that
every person is to be recognised as an
individual and treated with dignity at
all times. There is a busy groupwork
programme reflecting their belief in
the substantial experience and
resources of the patients to help one
Friends Ward
Telephone: 01223 218514/218616
Patients’ phone: 01223 213438
Contact the Charge Nurse
This is for people living in the North
City Sector, (ie in the North part of
Cambridge City and two-thirds of the
Romsey area).
The third ward is at Addenbrooke’s
S4 Ward
Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 274328
Patients’ phone: 01223 274586
Contact the Charge Nurse
This is for people living in the South
City Sector, in the south part of
7 Hospital Services
Cambridge city.
Also at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Hills
Road, Cambridge:
S3 Ward (Eating Disorder Unit)
Telephone: 01223 216944
Fax: 01223 216673
Ward Co-ordinator: 01223 217542
Contact the Nurse in Charge
All referrals to be sent to:
Dr Jane Shapleske
Consultant Psychiatrist
via her PA, Karen Payne, at:
Barton House Clinic
Box 220, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 596201
Fax: 01223 257153
S3 is a dedicated eating disorder ward
for adults from age 17 years, which
treats patients with Anorexia Nervosa.
The eating disorders unit provides a
safe and structured environment
where individually tailored treatment
helps patients gain weight and establish
healthy eating patterns. The
psychological therapies that focus on
the emotional and psychological
aspects of the illness are in line with
NICE guidance, and include individual
CBT, IPT and CAT. All nursing staff and
other professionals in the team are
trained in Motivational Enhancement
Therapy. The ward is staffed by nurses
specialising in eating disorders. A
Group Therapy programme, Occupational
Therapy, Body image therapy
and family work are also offered.
Rehabilitation wards
People needing to stay in hospital
longer than a few months will usually
go to one of the psychiatric rehabilitation
wards at Fulbourn Hospital. These
wards are managed by the Cambridge
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Service
Burnet House
Telephone: 01223 218526
Patients’ telephone: 01223 218566
Contact the Charge Nurse
People are referred to Burnet House
from the acute wards and the community
for assessment, treatment and
resettlement. The average stay is about
six months but may be longer. The aim
is to settle people back into the
community. Some people may be
referred to the other rehabilitation
wards. Active participation by ex-users
and carers is encouraged whether
people are ill or well. They also have
three open forensic beds.
Cedar House
Telephone: 01223 218532
Contact the Charge Nurse
Provides accommodation for 17 residents
who have long-term mental
health problems. The aim of the house
is to ensure the best quality of life,
maximising everyone’s potential and to
provide slow stream resettlement to
those able to move on.
4 Gresham Road
Telephone: 01223 726010
This is a Cambridge city based unit for
12 residents. Staffed 24-hours a day,
individuals are supported in the skills
of daily living and with mental health
needs such as symptom management
and medication. People using the facility
are expected to move on to more
independent housing.
Number One The Drive
Telephone: 01223 218674
This provides an intensive rehabilitation
facility in a homely setting. The
aim is to resettle people in the community
within three years. Clients are
given individual attention to realise
their full potential in daily living. 24-
hour nursing is provided.
Also at Fulbourn Hospital is
George Mackenzie House
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218807
Fax: 01223 218817
Contact the Charge Nurse
This is a low secure ward for people
whose psychiatric condition makes it
difficult for them to be nursed on open
Other services at
Fulbourn Hospital
Department of Clinical
Box 338, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218672
Fax: 01223 218978
Contact Geraldine Owen
Clinical psychologists work throughout
the mental health services, including
all in-patient wards, Community
Mental Health Teams, and specialist
services such as Rehabilitation,
Forensic and Eating Disorders. They
provide specialist assessment and
psychological treatment for a range of
Social Work Department
Telephone: 01223 218695 (See page 9)
Mental Health Chaplaincy Service
Promoting spiritual health and wellbeing
Chaplaincy Office
Kent House
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218598
Mobile: 07771 787249
The aims of the mental health chaplaincy
in Cambridge and South Cambs
• To promote spiritual healthcare,
good mental health, and high
quality pastoral care.
• To help ensure that the religious
and cultural needs of service users
are met.
• You don’t have to have a religion
or a personal belief in God to ask a
chaplain to see you (either in hospital
or in the community), or to
meet any group that you’re part
of. And the chaplaincy is here for
staff too.
• The Chapel at Fulbourn (Kent
House) is open on weekdays
between 10.00am and 4.00pm,
and there is an informal, open
service of Holy Communion each
Sunday at 10.30am.
The Leisure Centre at Fulbourn
The Leisure Centre is not staffed, but
the space is currently being used by
the Occupational Therapists and
Physiotherapy staff to run activities off
the wards. Ward staff can use it to take
patients to play snooker, table tennis
Arts Therapies Service
Therapy Resource Centre
Box 322, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218568
Contact David John
Art, Drama, Music and Dance
Movement therapy are available to
people in the hospital and in the
community at various day centres,
group and individual sessions. A referral
for therapy can be made through
any mental health professional.
The Physiotherapy Department
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218558
Fax: 01223 218708
The Physiotherapy Department and
Gym at Fulbourn and Addenbrooke’s
Hospital offer a service mainly for inpatients
and day patients. They do accept
referrals for outpatients for individual
physiotherapy if your mental health
problem would make it difficult for
you to attend other hospital outpatient
departments for treatment. Referrals
are accepted for use of the gym on the
understanding that attendance will be
for a limited number of sessions (four
to eight), with a view to moving on to
the activities offered by the Cambridge
City and South Rural Sports Development
Teams, with whom they have
strong links. You can be referred by
your Psychiatrist or Care Co-ordinator.
Before using the gym you will need to
complete a simple health questionnaire.
Access to Medical Records
Medical Records Officer
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218575
Fax: 01223 218522
If you want to see your records contact
the Medical Records Officer.
You have a right to see your medical
records written after 1st November
1991. Occasionally this right can be
denied if your consultant thinks it will
be harmful to you to see them, but this
is quite rare. When you return the
form, it will be sent to your
Responsible Medical Officer (RMO),
who usually suggests that you see your
records with a nurse or a doctor so
that they can help answer any questions
you have. If you want to see your
records before November 1st 1991 you
may be allowed to, but it is entirely up
to your doctor and you will have to pay
a fee (£10 + 10p per copy + postage).
Only a very small minority of people
will remain in psychiatric hospital for
long periods. Most people will spend
relatively short periods of time in
hospital and will see mental health
professionals as outpatients. Many
people with mental health problems
will not need to go into hospital at all.
Outpatient appointments may be at
the outpatients’ department at
Addenbrooke’s Hospital or at other
day centres or doctors’ surgeries. All
referrals will be through GPs or mental
health professionals. If you think you
need to see a mental health specialist,
talk to your GP first and she/he will
refer you if necessary.
Psychiatric Out Patients
S3, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 217944
Contact Reception 9.00am-5.00pm
Mondays to Fridays
The Psychiatry Out-patients is a
community oriented facility providing
referral to psychiatrists for assessment,
a treatment and support service for
those patients who do not require
admission to hospital, a follow up service
for patients on discharge from
hospital and a wide range of speciality
services for patients with specific problems.
Contact is made by referral
through a GP.
The department consists of:
• General Psychiatry Clinics
• Affective Disorder Clinic
• Memory Clinic
• PsychoGeriatric Clinic
• Forensic Psychiatry Clinics
• Liaison Psychiatric Clinics
• ADHD Clinics
• Eating Disorders Service
and the following services:
Forensic Psychiatry Service
Psychiatric Out-patient Dept.
Box 175
S3 Addenbrooke’s NHS Trust
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 217943
Fax: 01223 217941
The forensic psychiatric service for
Cambridge and Huntingdon provides
treatment for mentally disordered
offenders and patients who require
specialist forensic care in community
and inpatient settings. The service also
provides specialist evaluation and
management advice concerning individuals
referred for assessment by
psychiatric and social services, and
criminal justice agencies.
Liaison Psychiatry Service
S3 - Box 175
Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 216167 / 217944
Fax: 01223 274363
The Liaison Psychiatry Team provide
psychiatric services to the medical and
surgical patients on the Addenbrooke’s
site. They also assess patients presenting
to the Accident and Emergency
Department. The Team is staffed by a
Consultant, Junior Medical Staff, a
Liaison Nurse Therapist and a Liaison
Co-ordinator. There is also a Social
Worker associated with the Team who
provides assessment and counselling
for patients presenting following selfharm.
The Psychological Treatment
Box 190, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 217939
Fax: 01223 274368
The Psychological Treatment Service
provides cognitive behaviour therapy
and psychodynamic counselling to
adults of working age who have disorders
of considerable severity but who
do not necessarily need the input of a
psychiatrist or Community Mental
Health Team. Depression, anxiety,
obsessional-compulsive disorders,
atypical grief reactions, and interpersonal
problems are typical of the kinds
of problems seen here. The
Department is staffed by psychologists,
psychotherapists and nurse therapists.
You need to be referred by your
local GP or a mental health professional.
For further information, please
contact the Department between
9.00am and 5.00pm.
Primary Care Psychological
Treatment Service
Box 190, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 596305
The Primary Care Psychological
Treatment Service offers cognitive
behaviour therapy for mild to moderate
problems with depression and
anxiety. The therapy is based around
the use of self-help manuals for these
disorders, and offers a maximum of six
sessions of treatment. Patients are
seen in their own GP surgery or one
close to it. You need to be referred by
your GP or a mental health professional.
For further information, please
contact the Department between
9.00am and 5.00pm.
Complex Cases Service
PTS Department
Box 190, Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 2QQ
Telephone: 01223 216437
Fax: 01223 274368
This service offers intensive psychological
assessment, treatment and consultation
to patients suffering primarily
with personality disorders. It is staffed
by a consultant psychotherapist, a
principle adult psychotherapist, and
group and individual therapists along
with an occupational therapist, a
psychologist, a social work and a
music therapist. Patients seen in this
service are usually referred by their
consultant psychiatrist.
Medication can be a vital part of treatment
for many people with mental
health problems. If taken regularly
medication can work well, often in
conjunction with other therapies, to
help people live the kinds of lives that
they want to lead. Unfortunately many
medications for mental health problems
have side effects that can affect
people’s lives and so it is important
that people are fully informed and
educated about their medication so
that they can manage their own medicines
and find the ones that are best
for them.
If you do experience any side effects or
do not want to take the medication as
prescribed it is important that you
discuss this with a professional, as
there may be alternatives or ways of
reducing the impact of the side effects.
Medicines Information
For more information about medication,
first ask the person who
prescribed it or another healthcare
Lifecraft has many books and leaflets
about medication and side effects
including a booklet called ‘Your
medication – Any questions?’. This is a
collection of leaflets answering
common questions about medicines
used for mental health problems. It
can also be accessed on the Internet at
You can also contact the Specialist
Mental Health Pharmacy Service at
Fulbourn Hospital. The Pharmacy
Department at Fulbourn Hospital
provides services for inpatients at
Fulbourn and Addenbrooke’s Hospital
as well as many service users and
carers in the community. They also coordinate
the supply of Clozapine in
Cambridge and the surrounding areas.
They provide independent information
about medication, both on an individual
basis, and as group discussions or
teaching sessions. This is offered to
both users and carers as a confidential
They can be contacted on 01223
218518 (9.00am-5.00pm Monday to
Friday) – please ask to speak to one of
the pharmacists.
A national telephone psychiatric
medication helpline, run by the
United Kingdom Psychiatric
Pharmacy Group and based at the
Maudsley Hospital in London, is also
available. Telephone: 020 7919 2999
(11.00am-5.00pm Monday-Friday).
Prescription Charges
There is normally a charge for prescriptions
for medication however there are
many exemptions from these charges.
Free prescriptions are available to
• Under 16
• Age 16,17 or 18 and in full time
• Aged 60 or over
• Receiving Income Support
• Receiving Income Based Job
Seekers Allowance
• Who are pregnant or have had a
baby in the last 12 months
• Who have certain medical conditions
(doesn’t include mental illness)
• Who have a continuing physical
The last three of the conditions above
also require a valid exemption certificate.
You do not have to pay for
medication if you are an inpatient in an
NHS hospital.
A low income scheme is in operation
for people who are outside these categories
but still need help with the cost
of prescriptions. Form HC11, available
from chemists and surgeries, details
this and the exemptions in more detail
– the list does not cover every exemption
Prepayment certificates may be worth
obtaining if your income or savings are
too high for free prescriptions and you
will need regular prescriptions (over 14
items in one year). You can get further
details from your GP surgery or pharmacist.
Specialist mental health pharmacists
work within the hospital and community
advising health professionals, service
users and carers about all aspects
of the use of medication for mental
health problems. They can provide
independent advice about the choice
of medication, side effects and practical
issues in addition to dispensing
medication. Pharmacists undergo a
four year degree course in Pharmacy
and a year of work experience before
they register and work as experts in
the general field of medicines. To be
recognised as a specialist in a certain
area e.g. mental health they will do
further training and obtain experience
in that area.
Community Mental
Health Teams
The Cambridge City and South
Cambridgeshire area is divided up into
four sectors and each sector has a
community mental health team.
Which team you are referred to will
depend on the area in which you live,
which also determines which acute
ward you go onto if you need psychiatric
in-patient care. If you have ongoing
mental health needs and are on
the Care Programme Approach (see
page 6) you will be given a care coordinator
who will be part of one of
the teams. The teams consist of
mental health professionals – psychiatrists,
psychologists, social workers,
community psychiatric nurses, occupational
therapists and community
support workers (see pages 8 to 10 for
a description of what these people
do). You may see your community
psychiatric nurse or your social worker
regularly, which could mean several
times a week or every two-to-four
weeks, depending on your needs. You
can be referred to a team by the
psychiatric outpatients department or
from your GP. If you need to see your
care co-ordinator, you should have a
contact number for them, otherwise
you can contact the teams during the
normal office hours. Sometimes you
see members of the team at their base
or at a GP surgery but often they may
visit you in your home.
For the addresses and phone
numbers of the four teams see
pages 30 and 31.
Assertive Outreach
Assertive Outreach Team
Block 7, Ida Darwin Site
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 884390
Contact the Team Leader
Cambridge Assertive Outreach Team is
a team of 10 workers who provide a
flexible and regular service to a small
group of service users. They generally
work with people who are living in
their own homes and can provide
some practical support. Service users
need to be referred by their existing
mental health professional. The team
covers the South Cambs and
Cambridge City area and work seven
days a week from 9.00am-5.00pm.
Block 7, Ida Darwin Site
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 884360
Fax: 01223 884362
CAMEO is a clinical service for
Cambridgeshire; assessing, managing
and enhancing outcomes for people
with early symptoms of psychosis (not
previously treated with antipsychotic
medication for more than six months).
They work with people aged 17-35
years of age for three years and take
referrals from all sources including self
referral. They have a positive assertive
recovery approach.
8 Help in the Community
Community Nutrition and
Dietetic Service
Telephone 01223 884227
A dietitian is responsible for providing
a service to the Fulbourn site plus
outlying units. Therapeutic diet advice
and nutritional support is given to
referred in-and out-patient units on an
individual and group basis. Special
attention is given to developing ways
in which service users can avoid
weight gain secondary to the effects of
their prescribed medication. Referrals
are received at S3 Outpatients from
both psychiatrists and CPNs.
A Specialist Dietician is employed with
the Cambridgeshire-wide adult eating
disorder service. Dietetic eating disorders
advice is provided to both inpatients
at Addenbrooke’s and
out-patients throughout the county.
Support is given to primary care staff
working with eating disorder clients.
All referrals are received via the Adult
Eating Disorders Team.
Contacting social
Cambridgeshire Direct
Telephone: 0845 045 5203
Cambridgeshire’s new contact centre,
Cambridgeshire Direct should be the
first point of contact in most cases.
Open 8.00am - 8.00pm, Monday to
Saturday (please note this is the only
number available for children’s teams
Children and Families Teams
(postal addresses)
South Fenland and East
Cambridgeshire Children and
Families Team
The Grange
Nutholt Lane
Cambs CB7 4PL
(Looked After Children Section of this
team based at Hereward Hall, County
Road, March PE15 8ND)
South Cambridgeshire Children
and Families Team
18-20 Signet Court, Swann’s Road
Cambridge CB5 8LA
Cambridge City Children and
Families Team
Building 100, Rustat House
Clifton Road
Cambridge CB1 7EG
Children’s Disability Team
(including Children & Adolescent
Mental Health Team)
Douglas House
18 Trumpington Road
Cambridge CB2 2AH
Adult Services
Physical & Sensory Impairment
City & South PSI Team
Enterprise Centre, Haggis Gap
Cambs CB1 5HD
Telephone: 01223 714528
Fax: 01223 714529
Fenland and East PSI Team
Hereward Hall, County Road
PE15 8NE
Telephone: 01354 753800
Fax: 01354 754353
Older People Field Care Team
East Cambridgeshire
Julius Martin Lane
Cambs CB7 5EQ
Telephone: 01353 725060
Fax: 01353 725072
South Cambridgeshire
Comberton Road
Cambs CB3 7RY
Telephone: 01223 264466
Fax: 01223 263111
110a Arbury Road
Cambridge CB4 2JS
Telephone: 01223 718215
Fax: 01223 718328
Hospital Team
Cambridge Discharge Planning
28 Long Road
Cambridge CB2 2PS
Telephone: 01223 714444
Fax: 01223 714401
Cambridgeshire Learning
Disability Partnership
South Cambridgeshire
City Team:
Block 7, Ida Darwin
Cambs CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 885770
Fax: 01223 885795
South Team:
Block 11, Ida Darwin
Cambs CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 884071
Fax: 01223 884077
East Team:
Princess of Wales Hospital
Lynn Road
Cambs CB6 1DN
Telephone: 01353 884071
Fax: 01353 652221
Voluntary agencies
offering support
Cambridge Gwydir Project
(Turning Point)
Office E, Dales Brewery
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LJ
Telephone: 01223 516511/2
Fax: 01223 516513
Email: Cambs.admin@turningpoint.
This project aims to help vulnerable
people with complex health and social
care needs by offering practical help
and support with all aspects of daily
living in the community. It works
particularly with people who are reluc-
tant to engage with mental health
services and may at times present a
danger to themselves or others. Clients
are referred through other mental
health services. Services are available
seven days a week 8.00am-8.00pm,
Bank Holidays included.
Ely Diocesan Committee for
Family and Social Welfare
Diocesan Office, Barton Road
Cambs CB7 4DX
Telephone/Fax: 01353 652719
The team of four part-time Social
Workers offer free, confidential social
work expertise and counselling
support over the long-term and shortterm.
The Team value the flexibility of
being an independent agency and
registered charity and are able to
respond to many different needs.
Anyone in the Ely Diocese can telephone
or write to request a referral
form. These are considered once a
month, and so intervention cannot be
Support for homeless
The C.A.T.S. Team
21 Sturton Street
Cambridge CB1 2SN
The C.A.T.S. Team is a combination of
workers from The Cyrenians and
English Churches Housing, helping
people who are homeless. Contact
Wendy Howard, Fieldwork Co-ordinator
on 01223 472861 or Lyn Watson,
Sustainment Co-ordinator on 01223
472864 or Nicole Robertson, Mental
Health Outreach Worker on 01223
Cambridge Cyrenians
4 Short Street
Cambridge CB1 1LB
Telephone: 01223 712501
The Cyrenians provide: direct access
accommodation, long stay house and
bedsit accommodation.
Day centres, drop-in
centres and clubs
To use most of the centres mentioned
below you have to be referred by a
mental health professional. The exception
is the Lifecraft Social Club.
Cambridge Day Centre
2 Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 1QA
Telephone: 01223 366461
Fax: 01223 300776
Email: trumpington.street@
Contact the Manager
The aim of the service is to provide
treatment and support to help clients
to manage their illness in a community
setting. They aim, where possible, to
promote and maintain their individual
optimum level of independence. The
philosophy of care is a bio-psychosocial
approach; that is one which
considers all aspects of a person’s functioning,
circumstances and ways of
relating to others. The focus of the
service is a group programme which
offers therapy, education, social learn-
ing and support. They also operate a
key worker system. The client group
are those with a serious mental illness
who are referred by mental health
professionals. They are open 9.00am-
5.00pm, Mondays to Fridays and are
part of Cambridgeshire and
Peterborough Mental Health Partnership
NHS Trust.
Cambridge Clubhouse
47 Norfolk Street
Cambridge CB1 2LD
Telephone: 01223 359561
Fax: 01223 462699
“I have always found it difficult to
‘belong’ anywhere. Yet at the
Clubhouse, in an atmosphere of
warmth, acceptance of diversity and
no pressure, I’m beginning to feel able
to ‘belong’. This is enormously important
to me and to my recovery.”
Clubhouse member.
This is a project for people recovering
from mental health problems. The
Clubhouse Model focuses on
members’ strengths and abilities rather
than their illness. There is an expectation
that members will be actively
involved in the daily running of the
Opportunities for work include:
• Catering (the internet café and a
kitchen which provides a daily hot
meal at a fair price)
• Administration and Reception (various
clerical work)
• Access to various type of employment
opportunities with support
• Access to education programmes
outside of the Clubhouse
• In-house art studio, art shop and
• Access to different art projects and
exhibitions in the community
• Access to leisure and sport activities.
Day-to-day decisions are made in
meetings and based on consensus.
Meetings are open to both members
and staff.
Opening hours: Monday to Thursday
9.00am to 5.00pm; Friday 9.00am to
4.00pm; Saturday 10.00am to
4.00pm. To find out more contact the
Clubhouse and arrange a visit.
The Croylands Day Centre
30 Cambridge Road
Cambs CB7 4HL
Telephone: 01353 616044
Fax: 01353 616055
Contact the Manager
Open 9.00am-5.00pm, Monday to
Thursday, 9.00am-4.30pm Friday.
Croylands is funded by Cambridgeshire
and Peterborough Mental Health
NHS Trust. It provides support for
adults with long-term mental health
problems in the north rural sector.
Activities include creative writing, art,
therapeutic support groups and practical
help – ie careers advice, training,
life-skills etc. Referrals are via the
community mental health teams only.
The site also provides the base for the
North Rural Community Mental Health
Team. Outpatients clinics are also held
at the centre by consultant psychiatrists,
psychologists and the drug and
alcohol services. The site also provides
the base for the East Cambs
Community Mental Health Team.
Newmarket Day Service
Telephone: 01638 660664
Offers a varied programme of group
activities to help people improve selfesteem
and confidence; develop
social, leisure and employment related
skills; develop a positive view of life.
Access via Newmarket Community
Mental Health Team. For details telephone
01787 881307.
Cam-Mind (Cambridgeshire
Mental Welfare Association Ltd)
(See page 59.) Cam-Mind runs day
services and a befriending scheme.
You need to complete a referral form,
which should be signed by a health
professional. Cam-Mind encourages
as much ‘user’ participation as possible.
They also work to an up-to-date
equal opportunities policy. Please
contact Cam-Mind for details of
current day services
(see page 4 for times and place).
The Lifecraft social club is open seven
days a week, 365 days a year, with free
tea and coffee, music and lively
conversation. (Free membership.)
Contact the club or office during
opening hours to arrange an interview.
Everybody who has had mental health
problems is very welcome.
Mitchell Centre
128-130 Tenison Road
Cambridge CB1 2DP
Telephone: 01223 516911
Contact the Manager
This is a centre for people with longterm
severe mental health problems
who are clients of the Cambridge
Psychiatric Rehabilitation Service
(CPRS). Referral through the CPRS
only. Clients are encouraged to
engage in group and individual
sessions which take place at the
Mitchell Centre and in other community
settings. The sessions offer therapy,
social learning, education and
support enabling clients to access
social and vocational opportunities in
the wider community. The Centre is
open Monday to Friday, 9.00am to
Befriending Scheme
Contact the befriending scheme coordinator
(see page 59)
The scheme provides one-to-one
befriending. The aim is to help people
return to a normal social life through
supportive companionship.
Counselling is non-judgmental listening
by a trained counsellor who will
not give advice but encourage you to
work out what you want and what
your next steps should be. Counselling
and psychotherapy can provide an
opportunity to explore emotional
problems in a confidential setting, and
to look at difficulties arising from the
past, which may be reflected in current
relationships. Your doctor may have a
counsellor attached to the GP practice
and, if so, you will be able to get up to
six free one-to-one counselling
sessions on the NHS. For details of
services which are available free on the
NHS, see the Psychological Treatment
Services on page 39.
The following organisations provide
one-to-one counselling, sometimes
free or on a sliding scale of charges:
Anglia Polytechnic University
Counselling Service
Helmore 332, East Road
Cambridge CB1 1PT
Telephone: 01223 363271, ext 2298
One-to-one counselling is available
free to students of APU. Ring or call in
for an appointment 9.00am-5.00pm
Mondays to Fridays.
Relate Cambridge
3 Brooklands Avenue
Cambridge CB2 2BB
Telephone: 01223 357424
Fax: 01223 365129
Contact the Manager
Relate offers confidential support and
counselling to individuals, couples or
families who are experiencing relationship
difficulties. It also provides a sex
therapy service and family counselling.
Appointments are available Mondays
to Fridays 9.00am-9.00pm and on
Saturdays 9.30am-2.30pm. To make
an appointment, telephone Monday
to Friday during office hours (confidential
answerphone at all other
times). All clients are asked to make a
contribution if possible, but nobody is
turned away. Counselling is also available
in Huntingdon, Ely, Eaton Socon,
St Ives and Milton.
Relate also offers a range of relationship
training courses and professional
development courses for individuals
and organisations.
Centre 33
See page 92 in the section for young
Choices Counselling
91 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 7BS
Telephone: 01223 416616
Telephone: 01223 471574 (helpline)
Thursday evenings only
The office is open Monday to
Thursday, with a 24-hour answerphone.
Choices offers a confidential
counselling service for those whose
lives are affected by child sexual abuse.
Services available include one-to-one
counselling and facilitated self-help
single-sex support groups for survivors.
They also offer training and education
on the effects of child sexual abuse.
9 Counselling and Psychotherapy
There is a specialist library and information
service open 12.45pm-2.45pm
on Wednesdays with books available
on loan. There is a telephone
helpline on Thursday evening 6.00-
8.00pm on 01223 471574.
The Cogwheel Trust
The Maltings
41 High Street
Cambridge CB4 1NQ
Telephone: 01223 464385
Contact the office Monday to
Thursday 9.00am-5.00pm, Friday
9.00am-3.30pm (or leave message on
24 hour answer machine).
The Cogwheel Trust is a charity based
in Chesterton that provides a wideranging
professional counselling and
psychotherapy service to the community.
The trained staff work with individuals,
couples, families and children
and cover many personal, emotional
and relationship issues. They welcome
clients who refer themselves as well as
referrals from other agencies and they
operate a sliding scale of charges.
Phone the office for an appointment.
Ex-Services Mental Welfare
Audley Court, Audley Avenue
Shropshire TF10 7DR
Telephone: 01952 820335
Fax: 01952 814882
The Society provides free counselling
and practical help (eg pension claims)
for ex-services people. It also runs
three respite homes. Phone the above
number 9.00am-5.00pm on weekdays
to arrange an appointment with a
Local Welfare Officer.
Lawrence Way Community
37 Lawrence Way
King Hedges
Telephone: 01223 508151
Free time-limited counselling is available
to people living in King’s Hedges,
Arbury or East Chesterton and registered
with the Arbury Road, Nuffield
Road or Red House doctors. Ring to
refer yourself (01223 425419). Be
prepared to leave a message on the
Lifecraft Counselling Service
The Bath House, Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LW
Telephone: 01223 566957
Fax: 01223 505932
Lifecraft offers free one-to-one counselling
to its members on week-days
(short term and long term counselling)
as well as a Saturday afternoon dropin
(2.00pm and 3.00pm slots).
Membership is free and open to users
and ex-users of the mental health services.
Members should contact the
Counselling Co-ordinator.
OASIS Overcoming Addiction to
The Mill House
Brookfields Hospital
351 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 3DF
Telephone: 01223 723022
Fax: 01223 723040
Website: www.oasisstopsmoking
OASIS offer friendly advice and counselling
about quitting smoking. There
are two parts to the service. Firstly,
they offer appointments with ongoing
one-to-one support. They also run quit
groups where smokers all agree to quit
smoking on the same day. The group
meets once a week for a total of six
weeks. Contact OASIS on the above
number to make an appointment if
you are thinking about quitting smoking
or if you would just like some
advice on the phone.
Parkside Counselling and
Psychotherapy Group
Telephone: 01223 242029
One-to-one counselling on a sliding
scale of charges for people with anxiety,
depression, or problems related to
work, education, family or relationships.
University of Cambridge
Counselling Service
13/14 Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 1QA
Telephone: 01223 332865
Fax: 01223 323061
One-to-one counselling or group work
is available free to students and staff of
the University. Ring or call in for an
appointment 9.00am-5.30pm on
The Group Therapy Centre
St Columba Foundation
3 Downing Place
Cambridge CB2 3EL
Telephone: 01223 357221
Fax: 01223 357221
Office open: 9.00am-5.00pm Monday
to Friday (24hr answering).
Group Psychotherapy offers a unique
chance to understand how others see
us and how we get on with other
people. Think of it as a time and place
especially for you, with no other
demands. It can help you to untie your
emotional knots and to gain a new
perspective. Group members learn
that they’re not alone in the world and
there are others who have had similar
experiences and feelings.
Group therapy is supportive and safe.
The therapist puts in place boundaries,
such as confidentiality and time limits,
which are agreed by the whole group.
As well as providing stability, safe
boundaries and a non-judgemental
stance, the therapist comments on the
group process and enables members
to deal with feelings and issues raised.
The group can be a powerful source of
strength and support, especially in
times of difficulty or crisis. Over a
period of time feedback from the therapist
and other group members can
help people to become aware of and
change unhelpful patterns of thought
and behaviour.
Private counsellors and
There are many private psychotherapists
and counsellors in the Cambridge
area. Look up ‘Psychotherapy and
Analysis’ and ‘Counselling and Advice’
in the Yellow Pages. The British
Association for Counselling and
Psychotherapy will send details of
counsellors (and their qualifications)
living in the Cambridge Area. You can
also get details of local psychotherapists
from the United Kingdom
Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).
This is the national umbrella organisation
for all the psychotherapies, and
annually publishes a National Register
of Psychotherapists who have been
trained by a member organisation and
abide by a UKCP approved Code of
Ethics. Centre 33 (see page 93) has a
database of counsellors. Remember
that people can set themselves up as
counsellors or psychotherapists with
no training. A personal recommendation
is probably best, but ask people to
explain their approach to you, as there
are many different kinds of counselling
and what suits one person will not suit
everyone. It is very important that you
feel you can trust the person you
choose as your counsellor or therapist.
Lifecraft also has booklets telling you
what to look for when choosing a
British Association for
Counselling and Psychotherapy
BACP House, 35-37 Albert Street
Warwickshire CV21 2SG
Telephone: Office 0870 443 5252
Fax: 0870 443 5161
Send a stamped addressed envelope.
United Kingdom Council for
Psychotherapy (UKCP)
167-169 Great Portland Street
London W1W 5PF
Telephone: 020 7436 3002
Fax: 020 7436 3013
Listed below is information on some
counselling and psychotherapy practices
in the Cambridge area:
Cambridge Body Psychotherapy
Telephone: 01223 416166
Contact Gill Westland
This is a group of psychotherapists
offering individual and group body
psychotherapy, which looks at issues
through the communications of the
body. Fees between £30.00- £42.00
per hour.
Cambridge Group Analytic
Psychotherapy Practice
27a Pierce Lane
Cambridge CB1 5DJ
Telephone/Fax: 01223 880287
Contact Sue Greenland
Cambridge Group Analytic Psychotherapy
offers individual, couple and
group psychotherapy. It is associated
with Cambridge Group Work, which
also provides training in group work,
supervision and organisational consultancy.
Cambridge Psychotherapy
26 Newnham Road
Cambridge CB3 9EY
Telephone: 01223 369894
There are six UKCP registered analytic
psychotherapists in the practice, who
can offer individual, couple and group
therapy. Interviews can be arranged by
telephone or by writing to the practice.
Cambridge Society for
41 Beaulands Close
Cambridge CB4 1JA
Telephone: 01223 510229
Email: info@cambridgepsychotherapy.
Website: www.cambridgepsychotherapy.
The society is able to offer individual
therapy to both adults and children, as
well as therapy to couples and families.
The society adheres to a UKCP
endorsed code of ethics.
Cambridgeshire Consultancy in
206 Chesterton Road
Cambridge CB4 1NE
Telephone/Fax: 01223 415039
Experienced counsellors offering oneto-
one counselling. The fee is negotiable,
depending on income. They
adhere to the BACP code of ethics.
Development Centre
PO Box 387
Cambridge CB1 9WS
Telephone: 01223 241879
Professionally accredited practitioners
experienced in working with people
with drug and alcohol addictions and
related problems. The service provides
individual treatment programmes for
those suffering from drug and alcohol
problems. Consultations are free.
Cambridge Group Work
27a Pierce Lane
Cambridge CB1 5DJ
Tel/Fax: 01223 880287
Contact: Sue Greenland
Cambridge Group Work provides therapy
for those who want to understand
themselves and their relationships
through being a member of an
analytic group. It also provides introductory
and advanced training in
group work, supervision and organisational
consultancy. Fees negotiable.
Specialist counselling
Cambridge Associates in Child
Abuse and Therapy
Telephone: 01223 210378 (Clare
Telephone: 01223 513480 (Jean
Offering Training, Consultancy, Supervision
and Therapy. Experienced trainers
in the voluntary and statutory sectors.
Workshops have included: childhood
sexual abuse, eating disorders, selfharm
and the effects of the dynamics
of childhood sexual abuse on organisations
and are staffed by therapists
and supervisors of counsellors/group
facilitators working in the field of child
abuse. Fees negotiable.
Offers counselling for people whose
lives have been affected by child sexual
abuse. See page 48.
Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre
See page 96.
Family Planning Service
Auckland Road Health Centre
Auckland Road
Cambridge CB5 8DW
Telephone: 01223 533320
Contact Dr Helen Hutchinson
As well as advice about contraception,
they provide short-term one-to-one
psychosexual counselling for people
with sexual difficulties. Referral is
normally through your GP or health
professional. Clinics by appointment,
unless emergency contraception.
Monday 10.30am-11.00am, Saturday
11.00am-12noon. Appointments:
Monday 11.30am-1.30pm, 5.00pm-
7.30pm; Tuesday to Friday 12noon-
2.30pm; Tuesday and Wednesday
5.00pm-7.30pm. Teenage Ark (under
20) 12noon - 1.30pm, no appointment
Cambridge Relate
(See page 48). Also provides a confidential
psychosexual therapy service
for couples with sexual difficulties.
Clinic 1A
Box 38
Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Hills Road
Telephone: 01223 217774
Fax: 01223 217807
They provide a wide range of counselling
services to clients of Clinic 1A
(genito-urinary medicine). They can
refer their clients internally to a sex
therapist, a doctor who provides
psychosexual counselling and a
psychologist. A teenage clinic for
under 19s is also available, 12noon-
6.00pm appointments only.
Cambridge CRUSE Bereavement
St Luke’s Church Centre
Victoria Road
Cambridge CB4 3DZ
Telephone: 01223 302670 (office)
CRUSE Helpline: 01223 302662
Open 8.00am-8.00pm though you
may get an answerphone.
Administration: 01223 302670
Open 9.00am-4.00pm (Mon, Tue,
Thur, Fri)
Branch Co-ordinator: Joye Rosenstiel
CRUSE provides help for anyone who
has been bereaved by death. They
offer a telephone helpline, counselling
and group support. Groups include a
support group in central Cambridge
which is held each Wednesday morning,
for those aged between 40-60
who have lost a partner and one for
those bereaved by suicide. There is also
a general support group held in Ely
twice a month.
CRUSE also runs a service for children
and young people aged between 4-18.
All CRUSE counsellors have undergone
specialist training including extra training
for those working with children
and young people. Areas covered
include the City of Cambridge and
South Cambridgeshire, East Cambs,
Fenland and Haverhill. No charge is
made for services, though donations
are welcome.
For self-help groups concerned with
bereavement, see page 62.
Advice, support and
counselling for Gay Men,
Lesbians and Bisexual
CUSU LesBiGayTrans Campaign
Cambridge University LesBiGay Society
is open to all Cambridge University
Students and provides welfare
support, a positive social environment
and political forum for lesbian, bisexual,
gay and transgender students.
CUSU LBGT hosts a variety of events
throughout the year, provides publications
and runs a number of welfare
schemes. For more information visit
our website or send an email.
Cambridge Lesbian Line
Box L c/o Arjuna
12 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 2AD
Telephone: 01223 311753
The telephone line is open on Fridays
7.00pm-9.00pm for information and
advice for women who are (or think
they may be) lesbian or bisexual. They
also organise social and discussion
SexYouality – 2BYouth
Office B, Dales Brewery
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LJ
Telephone: 01223 369508
07808 189158
Helpline: Tuesday 7.00pm-9.00pm
Support and friendship for young
people in Cambridgeshire discovering
their sexuality. They run two groups
2Byouth for under 16s and 2Byou for
16-24 year olds.
London Lesbian and Gay
Switchboard (LLGS)
PO Box 7324
London N1 9QS
Telephone: 020 7837 7324
Fax: 020 7837 7300
Recruitment hotline: 020 7837 7606
This is a 24-hour information and
support line for lesbians, gay men,
their families and friends. Referrals are
offered and a national database of
lesbian and gay organisations is on
hand should the caller request out of
London information.
Drugs, Alcohol and
Alcoholics Anonymous
National Helpline: 0845 76 97 555
They are a voluntary fellowship of
people who are alcoholics and who
help each other to achieve and maintain
sobriety by sharing experiences
and mutual support. There are regular
group meetings. For the Cambridge
Helpline ring 01223 833900 (24-
hours). For general information ring
the General Service Office 01904
644026 9.00am-5.00pm Mondays to
Thursdays, 9.00am-4.30pm Fridays.
Al-Anon Family Groups UK and
61 Great Dover Street
London SE1 4YF
Telephone: 020 7403 0888
Fax: 020 7378 9910
Al-Anon is worldwide and offers
understanding and support for families
and friends of problem drinkers,
whether the alcoholic is still drinking or
not. Alateen, a part of Al-Anon, is for
young people aged 12-20 who have
been affected by someone else’s drinking,
usually that of a parent. For details
of meetings throughout the UK and
Eire please contact the helpline.
The Bridge (Drug Information
and Treatment Service)
152-154 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 3LP
Telephone: 01223 214614
Fax: 01223 414584
A confidential/advice/information and
counselling service for drug users, their
friends and families living in the
Cambridge Health area. Telephone for
appointments or advice line: Monday
9.00am-6.00pm; Tuesday to Thursday
9.00am-5.00pm; Friday 9.00am-
4.00pm. Needle exchange Monday to
Thursday 2.00pm-4.30pm; Friday
2.00pm-3.30pm. Either self-refer or be
referred by any other agency.
Dashwood House
185 East Road
Cambridge CB1 1BG
Telephone/Fax: 01223 416225
Contact: Jennifer Smith
Drinksense is a countywide non-statutory
alcohol advisory agency. The
Cambridge site provides services for
Cambridge City and South Cambs by
offering information, support and
counselling by appointment to people
with alcohol-related issues, their families
and others who feel they are
affected by another’s drinking.
Additionally, Drinksense works in partnership
with Probation as well as
providing Community Outreach and
Risk-taking Behaviour support and
information for young people. Client
referral may come from self, GP or
other agencies. Call Monday-Friday,
9.00-5.00pm (24hr answerphone).
Drug and Alcohol Service
Mill House
Brookfields Hospital
351 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 3DF
Telephone: 01223 723020
Mill House provides a comprehensive
range of services for people experiencing
difficulties with drugs (including
tranquillisers) or alcohol. People refer
themselves by telephone or are
referred by GPs or other professionals.
Appointment system only. Open
Monday to Thursday 9.00am-5.00pm,
Friday 9.00am- 4.00pm.
Tranquilliser Dependency Service
See ‘Drug and Alcohol Service’ above.
Gamblers Anonymous
PO Box 88
London SW10 0EU
Telephone: 08700 508880 (24-hour
helpline for support and advice)
A self-help organisation for compulsive
gamblers. There is no local group at
the moment. The nearest groups to
Cambridge are at Marks Tey Methodist
Church, London Road, Marks Tey, St
Albans on Mondays 7.30pm-9.30pm
and St Mary Magdalene Church, Silver
Road, Norwich on Wednesdays from
7.30pm-9.30pm. Gam-Anon for
family and friends of compulsive
gamblers is on the same telephone
Eating Disorders
Eating Disorders Association
First Floor, Wensum House
103 Prince of Wales Road
Norfolk NR1 1DW
Telephone: 0870 770 3256
Minicom: 01603 753322
Fax: 01603 664915
Email General Enquiries:
SMS Text: 07977 493 345
Adult Helpline: 0845 634 1414
8.30am-8.30pm Monday to Friday,
1.00pm-4.30pm Saturday.
Adult Help email:
Youth Helpline: 0845 634 7650
4.00pm-6.30pm Monday to Friday,
1.00pm-4.30pm Saturday.
Youth Help email:
The Eating Disorders Association is a
national charity offering information,
help and support to people whose
lives are affected by eating disorders,
in particular anorexia and bulimia
nervosa. It aims to campaign to
improve standards of treatment and
care and to raise awareness of eating
disorders and related issues.
Services include:
• General helpline open from
8.30am-8.30pm Monday to Friday,
1.00pm-4.30pm Saturday.
• UK wide network of self-help and
support groups, postal and telephone
• Membership which includes a regular
newsletter, a range of information
leaflets, posters and books.
• Youth helpline and support service
for young people aged 18 years
and under, open 4.00pm-6.30pm
weekdays and 1.00pm-4.30pm
Overeaters Anonymous
Telephone: 01480 353639 (Alison)
or 01480 406265 (Val)
Email: or
This is a confidential self-help group,
run along the same lines as Alcoholics
Anonymous with a structured 12-step
programme of recovery. The group is
for anyone that suffers from an eating
disorder – either bulimia, anorexia or
compulsive overeating. However,
please note that this group is not for
pure anorexics but for anorexics that
also binge.
Meetings are currently being held in
St. Neots and St. Ives.
• St. Neots Group: held on Tuesday,
7.30pm - 9.00pm at Open Door,
281 Great North Road, Eaton
Socon, St. Neots (opposite Eaton
Socon Health Centre).
• St. Ives Group: held on Friday,
7.30pm-9.00pm at Free Church
Lounge, Free Church, St. Ives (walk
down the alleyway to right of
church, past the taxi office, take a
left and the lounge is on the right).
Please phone for more details.
The Phoenix Centre
Helps adolescents with eating disorders
(see page 78).
Head Office
Cambridge DHIVERSE (Developing
HIV Education, Resources and
Office B, Dales Brewery
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LJ
Telephone: 01223 508805
Fax: 01223 508808
Satellite Office
The Primrose Centre
Primrose Lane
Cambs PE29 1WG
Telephone: 01480 420011
DHIVERSE is a Cambridgeshire HIV and
sexual health charity. The organisation
provides both health promotion and
prevention, and also support for
people living with or affected by HIV.
Services include peer support groups,
hardship funds, counselling, advocacy
and information, access to complimentary
therapies and training. The
office is normally staffed from
10.00am-4.30pm Monday to Friday.
Everyone is encouraged to contact
DHIVERSE whether for support, information
or to get involved in other ways
such as volunteering or fundraising.
The following groups are concerned
specifically with mental health.
Help locally
The Association for Post-Natal
145 Dawes Road
London SW6 7EB
Telephone Helpline:
020 7386 0868
Fax: 020 7386 8885
You can ring their helpline on
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
10.00am-2.00pm; Tuesdays and
Thursdays 10.00am-5.00pm. There is
an answerphone at other times. They
will match up a woman with postnatal
depression with a woman in her
area who has had similar problems in
the past. They also provide literature
on post-natal depression.
Cambridge Manic Depression
Fellowship Self-Help Group
C/o 6 Beechwood Avenue
Cambs SG8 6BH
Contact Phil on 01763 260315 or
0845 4581295 (evenings and weekends),
answering machine at other
times) or write to the Secretary at the
above address. The group gives
support to people with manic depression,
their families and carers. They
usually have monthly meetings, some
with specialist speakers. They also
produce a newsletter, useful information
and support from other members.
Contact them for details.
100 Chesterton Road
Cambridge CB4 1ER
Telephone: 01223 311320
Fax: 01223 356947
Contact the Administrator
Cam-Mind is a voluntary organisation
affiliated to Mind. It runs day services
and a befriending scheme for people
with mental health problems (see page
The Depression Alliance
35 Westminster Bridge Road
London SE1 7JB
Telephone: 020 7633 0557
Local call rate number:
0845 123 23 20
Fax: 020 7633 0559
Email: information@
Depression Alliance is the leading UK
charity for people with depression.
They work to relieve and to prevent
this treatable condition by providing
information, support and understanding
to those who are affected by it.
They also campaign to raise awareness
amongst the general public about the
realities of depression.
A member-led organisation, they coordinate
a national network of self-
Self-Help and Voluntary Groups 10
help groups so that people with
depression can share experiences and
coping strategies with others in similar
situations, and produce a unique series
of free publications which offer advice
and information on depression and
related topics. Also, they offer a range
of support services for members. For
more information and a free pack,
please contact the office, an SAE is
appreciated. They will tell you about
local groups. The office opening hours
are 1pm-5pm Monday to Friday.
Friends of Fulbourn Hospital and
the Community
11 Highfield Gate
Cambridge CB1 5HA
Telephone/Fax: 01223 881267
Contact the Honorary Secretary
A charity which supports the care,
welfare, rehabilitation and integration
of mental illness sufferers who are, or
have been, associated with Fulbourn
Hospital. It provides extra facilities in
the hospital, organises ward parties
and helps individual patients. In the
community it offers financial and other
support, advises and supports carers
and informs public debate on mental
health issues. It runs the Forum Lunch
Club (page 102) and the award
winning Millennium Arts Project
(page 81).
Lifecraft (see page 4) is a self-help
organisation in Cambridge run by
users and ex-users of mental health
services. Lifecraft runs a wide range of
free services.
National Schizophrenia
Fellowship (Cambridge Group)
(NSF Cambridge Group)
See page 89.
National Mental Health
The Fellowship of Depressives
Box FDA Self Help Nottingham
Ormiston House
32-36 Pelham Street
Nottingham NG1 2EG
Telephone: 0870 774 4320
(National Information Line)
Fax: 0870 774 4319
Address mail to ‘Hon Secretary’
National self-help/mutual aid organisation
for those with depression and for
family and friends. Contacts via penfriend
scheme, phone friends, bimonthly
newsletter, leaflets, booklist,
some local support groups as well
advice about forming local support
groups. Advice in forming local
groups, also phone friends.
Hearing Voices Network
91 Oldham Street
Manchester M4 1LW
Telephone/Fax: 01618 345 768
HELPLINE: 01618 343 033
This is a support network for people
who hear voices. They produce literature
and organise meetings and
conferences as well as offer training
for workers, carers and voice hearers.
There are self-help groups throughout
the country. Contact the head office
for more information.
MDF The Bi-Polar Organisation
Castle Works
21 St George’s Road
London SE1 6ES
Telephone: 0845 6340 540
Fax: 020 7793 2639
The largest self-help organisation in
the UK for people who experience
episodes of manic depression, and
their relatives. Information, quarterly
journal, local self-help groups, selfmanagement
training, employment
advice and travel insurance available.
Mind: (National Association for
Mental Health)
15-19 Broadway
London E15 4BQ
Telephone: 020 8519 2122
Fax: 020 8522 1725
The leading mental health charity in
England and Wales, providing information,
mail-order books and leaflets,
legal advice and information line.
MindInfoline: Telephone 0845 7660
163 (local call rate), open Monday to
Friday, 9.15am-5.15pm. MindLink is
Mind’s network for users and ex-users
of mental health services, providing a
newsletter and contact lists.
Rethink (National Schizophrenia
30 Tabernacle Street
London EC2A 4DD
Telephone: 0845 456 0 455
ADVICE LINE: 020 8974 6814
(10.00am-3.00pm, Monday to Friday)
Working together to help everyone
affected by severe mental illness,
including schizophrenia, to recover a
better quality of life.
See page 88 for local groups offering
support to carers.
No Panic
Office number: 01952 590005
Freephone: 0808 808 0545
You can phone to request an information
pack on panic attacks, phobias
and obsessive-compulsive disorder and
to find out the number of the day’s
phone counsellor. They also have some
local self-help groups. For those without
a local group, or who cannot get
to a local group, they offer a 14 week
telephone recovery group service (for
members). Open 10.00am-10.00pm.
OCD Action
22-24 Highbury Grove
Suite 107
London N5 2EA
Telephone: 020 7226 4545
(membership and information).
Fax: 020 7288 0828
HELPLINE: 020 7226 4000
For over fourteen years, OCD Action
has worked to promote recovery from
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
They offer help and information to
carers, professionals, the media and
sufferers. They have a free information
pack which is available on request.
Open Tuesday and Wednesday,
9.30am-5.00pm; Thursday, 11.00am-
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Association (SADA)
PO Box 989
Steyning BN44 3HG
Information line: 01903 814942
(recorded message)
SADA offers information and support
to people who become depressed
during the winter. Send a SAE for free
information, £5 for a full information
pack to the above address. SADA has
newsletters and telephone contacts.
1st Floor Cityside House
40 Adler Street
London E1 1EE
Telephone: 020 7375 1002 (office)
Fax: 020 7375 2162
Helpline: 0845 767 8000 (12 noon -
11.00pm Monday to Friday and 12
noon - 6.00pm Saturday and Sunday)
SANE is a national mental health charity
which aims to raise awareness of
mental illness and campaign to
improve services; initiate and fund
research into the causes of serious
mental illness through its research
centre and provide information and
support to those experiencing mental
health problems through its helpline,
The following groups are not specifically
concerned with mental health,
but would not exclude people with
mental health problems.
Compassionate Friends
Telephone: 01223 893053
Contact Margaret and John Evans
This is a group of parents who have
suffered the loss of a child (of any age)
through death. They meet monthly in
one another’s homes. Those who have
lost a child can ring Margaret or John
for a talk and this may be followed by
a home visit if desired.
Foundation for the Study of
Infant Deaths
HELPLINE: 020 7233 2090 (24 hour)
Fax: 020 7222 8002
The UK’s leading cot death charity
aims to prevent sudden infant death
and promote infant health. FSID raises
funds for research, supports bereaved
families and disseminates information
to health professionals and the general
Miscarriage Association
Telephone: 01763 249243 (Janet
They provide support for women and
their families around the issue of
miscarriage. Informal group meetings
are held every month. Information and
literature available.
For Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-
Anon, see page 55.
For Gamblers Anonymous see page
56 and Overeaters Anonymous, see
page 57.
Many people have found complementary
medicine (which can be used
alongside traditional medicine) very
helpful, particularly in reducing stresslevels.
Examples are acupuncture,
aromatherapy, homeopathy and
reflexology. Aromatherapy and
massage are used in some NHS hospitals,
but most practitioners are private.
Arjuna Natural Health Centre
12A Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 2AD
Telephone: 01223 566122
The centre offers a wide range of therapies
from experienced, qualified and
caring practitioners. These include
acupuncture, allergy testing and nutritional
analysis, body psychotherapy,
counselling (including eating disorders
support), Bowen therapy, herbalism
with iridology, homeopathy,
hypnotherapy, osteopathy, reflexology,
reiki, shiatsu, therapeutic massage and
touch for health kinesiology.
Open Monday to Saturday. See individual
practitioners for concessionary
rates. Reception open Monday to
Thursday 9.00am-1.00pm.
Andreasen Centre for Wholistic
Health (meet at)
Friends Meeting House
91 Hartington Grove
Telephone: 01223 321157
This is a registered charity offering spiritual
healing, reflexology and facial
massage for £5.00 per therapy
(concessions £3.00). Open on
Thursdays only from 1.30pm-4.00pm.
All are welcome.
Cambridge Complementary
Health Centre
8 Rose Crescent
Cambridge CB2 3LL
Telephone/Fax: 01223 355344
The Centre offers a broad range of
therapies with all practitioners fully
qualified and registered. For full details
including prices and availability please
see the website or contact reception.
Open Monday to Friday, 8.30am-
8.30pm, Saturday 8.30am-6.00pm.
Concessions available with Low Cost
Therapies available include:
Acupuncture, Amma Massage, Aromatherapy
Massage, Bowen Therapy,
Chiropractic, Cranialscaral Therapy,
Cranial Osteopathy, Homeopathy,
Hopi Ear Candling, Human Givens
Therapy, Indian Head Massage,
Iridology, McTimoney Chiropractic,
Nutritional Therapy, Osteopathy,
Reflexology, Shiatsu, Sports Massage,
Thai Massage, Western Herbal
Medicine, Zero Balancing.
Neals Yard Remedies
1 Rose Crescent
Cambridge CB2 3LL
Telephone: 01223 321074
They offer a wide range of treatments
in a supportive and holistic environment
– massage, shiatsu, indian head
massage, reflexology, aromatherapy,
Bowen technique and natural facials;
Complementary Therapies 11
as well as flower essences, nutrition,
homeopathy, kinesiology and herbal
medicine. They also sell herbal and
homeopathic remedies, massage oils
and flower essences which they
encourage people to come and chat to
them about – their emphasis is very
much on empowering people to take
responsibility for their own health.
You can get advice on housing (including
help with finding it) from the
following organisations, depending on
where you live.
Cambridge City Council
Community Services
Hobson House
44 St Andrew’s Street
Cambridge CB2 3AS
Telephone: 01223 457000
The Housing Service comes under the
umbrella of ‘Community Services’.
There are several sections dealing with
housing, including:
Rent advice for council tenants: rent
advisers offer a confidential service to
council tenants. This involves money
and benefit advice and debt counselling.
Telephone 01223 458302
(South) or 458418 (North) for an
Housing Advice: the Housing Advice
Centre is located at 44 St. Andrews
Street. Six advisers provide information,
advice and representation for
anyone in the private sector with a
housing problem. A Tenancy Relations
Officer will help anyone in the private
sector who has been harassed or
unlawfully evicted. Housing Advice
also has lists of letting agencies and
housing associations. Telephone
01223 457934/6. Housing Advice has
an outreach session at Addenbrooke’s
Hospital on Tuesdays from 10.00am-12
noon. You should also go to the
Housing Centre if you are in need of
housing and think you may be entitled
to help from the council. No appointment
Housing Needs
The Housing Needs section maintains
the Housing Needs Register (previously
known as the waiting list). This register
is for those who want to be considered
for Council or Housing Association
property within the City of Cambridge.
They are based at 44 St Andrews
Street, Cambridge. Telephone 01223
457974/5 for information about inclusion
on the Register. Applications are
posted out to people wishing to be
considered for the Register. The form is
logged when it is received by the
Housing Needs section. They aim to
process the application within four
weeks. Those who are being threatened
with homelessness should
contact the Housing Advice team at
the same address.
South Cambridgeshire District
South Cambridgeshire Hall
Cambourne Business Park
Cambridge CB3 6EA
Telephone: 08450 450 500
Fax: 01954 710 230
If you currently live or work in the area
or have previously lived in the area for
any significant length of time or you
are aged 60 or over and have close
supporting relatives living locally you
may be eligible to be placed on the
Housing Register or Transfer List. The
Customer Services Section of Shire
Homes can advise you as to your eligibility
and they can be contacted at
South Cambs District Council offices.
Housing 12
In addition, homeless applications and
requests for housing advice for all
types of tenant/owner-occupier can be
dealt with by the Homelessness and
Housing Advice Section at South
Cambridgeshire Hall.
The offices are open to the public
between 8.30am-4.30pm Mondays to
Fridays. Contact can be made by telephone
between 8.30am-5.00pm
Monday to Thursday and 8.30am and
4.30pm on Fridays.
East Cambridgeshire District
The Grange, Nutholt Lane
Cambs CB7 4PL
Telephone: 01353 616258
Fax: 01353 665240
The Council does not have its own
stock of homes. These are now owned
and managed by Hereward Housing.
The Council does however provide a
comprehensive housing advice service
available to anyone in the area, providing
advice and information on private
renting, tenants’ rights, repairs, harassment,
etc. The Council also deals with
homelessness and can advise on local
housing options. The office is open
8.45am-5.00pm Mondays to Thursdays
and 8.45am-4.30pm on Fridays.
Ring the above number for an
appointment or call in.
Hereward Housing
St Mary’s Lodge, St Mary’s Street
Cambs CB7 4EY
Telephone: 0845 850 5757
Fax: 01353 669447
They have a common register of all the
housing association houses in the area
and can send you an application form.
Ely Link Scheme
C/o Croylands Centre
30 Cambridge Road
Cambs CB7 4HL
Telephone: 01353 659569
Granta Housing Society, with staff
based at Croylands, provide practical,
emotional and social support seven
days a week to around 13 service users
at any one time. Referrals are predominantly
from the North Rural CMHT, to
a panel that meets monthly. The
scheme provides floating support to
individuals who need more intensive
support than the CMHT can provide,
and who live in the area covered by
the CMHT.
If people are homeless and are considered
to be in priority need (which may
be the case for people with mental
health problems), local authorities
have a duty to provide temporary
accommodation while they consider if
there is a duty to provide permanent
accommodation. Often people go to
the housing office with a social
worker, but people can contact the
housing office direct, in which case the
office will need to contact the relevant
mental health professionals. If a homeless
person who is not local is
discharged from psychiatric hospital,
the local authority may still have a duty
towards that person, but could refer
them to an authority where they lived
If people with mental health problems
are not homeless but want to be
rehoused by the local authority, they
can go to the Housing Department to
put their name on the Housing Needs
Register. Sometimes medical problems
may be counted as additional points
when that person’s application is
If you have a social worker, discuss it
with them. If not, go and discuss the
situation with your local housing
department. (There are other organisations
which provide temporary directaccess
accommodation for homeless
people). (See page 70).
Ditchburn Place Supported
(Cambridge City Council)
Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 2DR
Telephone: 01223 314800
Fax: 01223 354054
Twenty-one self-contained fully
furnished properties are let on a
temporary basis (up to two years) and
there are also three fully furnished
bedsit units with communal facilities.
Also, Burmaside House offers four fully
furnished bedsits with communal facilities.
Number 39 offers three extra fully
furnished bedsits. There are weekly
appointments with a support worker
and 24-hour emergency cover. The
housing is not aimed specifically at
people with mental health problems as
it caters for anyone who could be
considered vulnerable. Referral forms
are available. All referrals need support
from a professional.
Housing for people with
mental health problems
There are a number of organisations
(mainly voluntary), which provide
housing for people with mental health
problems. This can range from homes
staffed on a 24-hour basis to selfcontained
flats and bedsits for people
who want to live independently but
still require support.
The Cambridge Pringle Group (a
registered charity)
Pringle House, 14 Ribstone Way
Cambridge CB4 2FT
Telephone: 01223 425946
Fax: 01223 425946 (call first)
Contact the Manager
The Cambridge Pringle Group provides
three houses for adults with enduring
mental illness. Pringle House provides
long-term support for 13 people and
has staff support seven days a week,
including a sleep-in presence. Three
group homes – one in Milton Road
and the other two in the village of
Milton. Each house provides a home
for four people who enjoy a greater
degree of independence, with parttime
staff support.
Granta Housing Society Ltd
1 Horizon Park, Barton Road
Cambridge CB3 7AF
Telephone: 01223 576756
Fax: 01223 576750
Contact the Supported Housing
Department for the Area Supported
Housing Managers.
Granta runs several projects for people
with mental health needs in
Cambridge. These vary from 24-hour
cover, including sleep in’s. This is
usually shared accommodation or
bedsits/flats with cover 9.00am-
5.00pm on weekdays and weekends
and Group Homes with cover of 30
hours per week.
Referrals are through mental health
professionals, with potential tenants
subject to the CPA process. The following
are all run by Granta in Cambridge
• 10 Suez Road
Staff from Vicarage Terrace provide
support to this three-person group
• Vicarage Terrace
Telephone: 01223 329121
Contact the Project Manager
This provides 24-hour support for
15 tenants for up to 2 years. The
aim is to enable individuals to gain
stability and confidence and reintegration
into the community.
• 15 Garden Walk
Cambridge CB4 3EW
Telephone: 01223 361979
Contact the Project Manager
This provides 24-hour support for
tenants for a flexible period as
determined by individual need.
• 38-44 Garden Walk
Cambridge CB4 3EW
Telephone: 01223 300188
Contact the Project Manager
This provides permanent bedsit
accommodation for 25 people for a
flexible period as determined by
individual need. Staff are on duty
Monday - Friday and Saturday afternoon.
Staff at 15 Garden Walk provide
support when necessary.
• 37 Garden Walk
Cambridge CB4 3EW
Telephone: 01223 300188
Contact the Project Manager
This provides permanent accommodation
for five residents, who have
their own room and share other
facilities for a flexible period as
determined by individual need. Staff
at 15 Garden Walk provide support
when necessary.
• 340 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 3NN
Telephone: 01223 410271
Contact the Project Manager
The scheme provides 24-hour cover
for eight permanent tenants for a
flexible period as determined by
individual need. Each person has
their own rooms and share other
• 29 Magrath Avenue
Cambridge CB4 3AH
Telephone: 01223 361718
Contact the Project Manager
This is a residential care home providing
24-hour support for eight
tenants for a flexible period as
determined by individual need. Each
person has their own room and
shares other facilities.
• 316 Cambridge Road
Telephone: 01223 211274
Contact the Project Manager
This provides 24-hour support for
six tenants for a flexible period as
determined by individual need. Each
person has their own rooms and
share other facilities.
• Denham Place
4 Coleridge Road
Cambridge CB1 3GB
Telephone: 01223 526978
Contact the Project Manager
The scheme provides single accommodation
for 16 people, with staff
support for a flexible period as
determined by individual need.
• Granta Group Homes
Telephone: 01223 410196
Contact the Project Manager
The scheme provides homes for
people with long-term mental
health problems. Most of the 12
properties house three tenants who
have their own bedroom and share
other facilities. Tenants are supported
for a flexible period as determined
by individual need.
Winston House (2 Care)
19 Brooklands Avenue
Cambridge CB2 2BG
Telephone/fax: 01223 356795
Winston House provides accommodation
for 26 men and women aged
between 18 and 65 who have experienced
mental health problems who
could benefit from support based on a
psychiatric rehabilitation approach.
Four of these live semi-independently
in a separate bungalow. People can
contact the project directly for an
application form, though most referrals
are through mental health professionals
and GPs.
Cam-Mind (Cambridgeshire
Mental Welfare Association)
Cam-Mind has unstaffed group homes
for 22 residents which are visited
weekly by support workers. Referral
forms can be obtained from the
Group Homes Social Workers on
01223 311320 or from The
Cambridge Housing Society which
manages the homes on 01223
Housing for women and
young people
The following organisations do not
provide accommodation just for
people with mental health problems,
but they do cater for people with
special needs who are vulnerable,
including those with mental health
Corona House
Provides housing for homeless single
women. See page 97.
Orwell Housing Association
Provides housing for young women
16-25. See page 97.
Castle Project (Housing)
Provides housing for young people 16-
25. See page 93.
Centre 33
Runs housing advice and advocacy projects
for young people. See page 93.
Housing for Homeless
The following organisations will house
people off the street if they can, but it
is usually best to ring first to check
there is a vacancy. The organisations
are not specifically for people with
mental health problems, but many
people with mental health problems
use them.
Cambridge Cyrenians Ltd
4 Short Street
Cambridge CB1 1LB
Telephone: 01223 712501
Fax: 01223 712503
Cambridge Cyrenians provides a range
of supported accommodation for
single, homeless men and women. All
referrals are currently received through
the Street Outreach Team (telephone
01223 366393). The office is open
9.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Cyrenians Mental Health Team
125 Newmarket Road
Cambridge CB5 8HA
Telephone: 01223 712518
Fax: 01223 712510
Cambridge Cyrenians is a registered
charity that provides a range of accommodation
and support for homeless
people. The aims of the services are: to
improve access to properly developed
mainstream services and to assist those
services in accessibility to, people who
have a mental illness, or a dual diagnosis
of which mental illness is a
component, and who have problems
of homelessness, either as a transient,
or recurring feature of their lives. Mental
illness does not have to be formally
diagnosed to justify involvement with
the service. Open 9.00am - 5.00pm.
Emmaus Cambridge
Emmaus Community
Green End, Landbeach
Cambridge CB4 8ED
Telephone: 01223 863657
Emmaus Cambridge is a self-supporting,
working community of people,
many of whom were previously homeless.
Companions (residents) agree to
‘sign off’ from front-line benefit. The
community runs a business renovating
and selling secondhand household
goods. Opening hours for the shop
and office are Monday 8.30am-
1.00pm and 2.00pm-5.00pm; Tuesday
to Saturday 8.30am-5.00pm.
English Churches Housing Group
222 Victoria Road
Cambridge CB4 3LG
Telephone: 01223 352718
Fax: 01223 467911
The organisation provides temporary
accommodation for 74 people with
24-hour cover. Referral is through the
City Council or Street Outreach only.
Jimmy’s Night Shelter
Zion Baptist Church
1 East Road
Cambridge CB1 1BD
Telephone/Fax: 01223 576085
Jimmy’s Night Shelter aims to provide,
throughout the year, accommodation
that is welcoming, safe and warm to
anyone who would otherwise be
forced to sleep rough on the streets of
Cambridge. They assist those who feel
able to move into more appropriate
accommodation, offering an effective
style of resettlement.
Jimmy’s only accept self-referrals from
6.00pm, which are on a first-come,
first-served basis, but agencies may
check if there are any vacancies available
by telephoning 01223 576085.
Willow Walk
17-19 Willow Walk
Cambridge CB1 1LA
Telephone: 01223 519400
Fax: 01223 519415
Contact Gordon Bell or staff on duty
This is also run by English Churches
Support for Homeless
The following organisation offers
support to people who are homeless,
at risk of homelessness or in insecure
or temporary accommodation.
Wintercomfort: The Centre
Overstream House
Victoria Avenue
Cambridge CB1 1EG
Telephone: 01223 518140
Fax: 01223 566973
Contact the Day Centre
Open Saturday, Sunday and weekdays
10.00am-4.00pm, except Thursday
which is 11.00am-4.00pm.
A day centre offering subsidised food
(12.30-1.30pm), drinks, laundry facilities,
referral to Outreach Team, advice,
information, counselling and addiction
support as well as weekly activities.
Contact them for up-to-date details.
Affordable Furniture
and Electrical Goods
Cambridge SOFA
Unit H, The Paddocks
347 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 8DH
Telephone/fax: 01223 576535
Contact: The Outreach Officer
SOFA is a great source of affordable
furniture, household goods and electrical
goods for anyone who receives
benefits or a low income. Customers
can ‘self refer’ by showing proof of
benefits and address or by obtaining a
referral form from a caring agency (eg
Lifecraft, CAB, Social Services etc). The
shop is open Mondays to Friday,
Finding employment –
Work is important to everyone. We all
need things to do which are personally
meaningful and which offer us a role
and identity. Work is recognised as
being central to the process of ‘recovery’
(see page 24) and forms a key
element in the recent policy initiatives
to combat social exclusion. The following
organisations can provide support
in making a return to the world of
work, volunteering or training.
Cambridge Jobcentre Plus
Henry Giles House
73-79 Chesterton Road
Cambridge CB4 3BG
Telephone: 01223 545000
They are open Mondays, Wednesdays,
Thursdays and Fridays 9.00am-
5.00pm, Tuesdays 10.00am-5.00pm.
Ely Jobcentre Plus
52 Market Street
Cambs CB7 4LS
Telephone: 01353 605400
Fax: 01353 605450
Textphone: 01223 545016
Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
and Friday 9.00am-5.00pm, Tuesday
Newmarket Jobcentre Plus
Wellington House
Wellington Street
Newmarket CB8 0WJ
Telephone: 01638 683600
Fax: 01638 683650
Open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
and Friday 9.00am-5.00pm, Thursday
Careers Guidance
You can get general help with careers
guidance from Connexions Cambridgeshire
and Peterborough which has two
outlets in this area:
• Connexions Cambridgeshire
and Peterborough
3rd Floor Cambridge Library
The Lion Yard
Cambridge CB2 3TA
Telephone: 01223 712800
Fax: 01223 712801
Website: www.connexionsfirect.
Website: (for 13-
19 year olds)
• Connexions Cambridgeshire
and Peterborough
Ely Library, 6 The Cloisters
Cambs CB7 4ZH
Telephone: 01353 616990
Website: www.connexionsfirect.
Website: (for 13-
19 year olds)
13 Employment and Careers Guidance
Confidential, impartial guidance and
information on careers, education and
training for young people and adults.
For young people (13-19 years) there is
a drop-in at Cambridge Central Library
(2nd floor) between 1.30pm- 4.30pm.
There is an adult drop-in at Cambridge
Central Library (2nd floor) on Mondays
between 11.00am-12.30pm and on
Wednesdays between 4.30pm-
5.30pm. There is also an adult drop-in
at the Arbury Court Library on
Thursdays between 12 noon-1.00pm.
Clients are seen on a first come, first
served basis. During busy periods
access to an advisor could be limited to
15 minutes. Interview appointments
for adults and young people are available
at Lion Yard, please contact them
to book.
The following organisation provides
careers guidance for women only:
Cambridge Womens’ Resources
Centre. See page 96.
Finding work for people who
need extra support.
There are some organisations which
provide extra help with finding work
for people with disabilities or ill health,
including mental health needs:
Cambridge Jobsearch
18 George IV Street
Cambridge CB2 1HH
Telephone: 01223 313415
This is a free and confidential career
counselling service, also providing
practical assistance in job-hunting and
CV compilation. Support given to
people with mental health problems
who are ready for work.
Disability Services Team (DST)
Telephone: 01223 545090
Government service to help people
with any type of disability (including
mental health problems) to find paid
work or appropriate training leading to
work. Contact your local Jobcentre
Plus and ask for the Disability
Employment Adviser.
The following organisations provide
training, some specifically for people
with special needs.
The Employment Foundation
Cambridge City Council
Cherry Hinton Hall
Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 8DW
Telephone: 01223 458256/7
Fax: 01223 458209
The Employment Foundation Scheme
is part of the Cambridge City Council
and is also funded by Job Centre Plus
and the Learning and Skills Council.
They offer vocational training programmes
in Horticulture, Painting and
Decorating and basic skills. They have
opportunities for apprentices and run
an Entry to Employment programme
for 16-18 year olds. For further information
contact your Connexions
Advisor, Job Centre Plus Advisor or
phone them on the above number.
RFET Cambridge
Unit BC, The Paddocks
347 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 8DH
Telephone: 01223 242267
Fax: 01223 244595
Email: rfetcambridge@
RFET helps people who have mental
health problems or physical disabilities
to find suitable training or employment
and to gain any help that may be
needed in the workplace. Open
Monday to Friday 9.00am-5.00pm.
Contact the RFET office for a referral
form. They also provide rehabilitation
through work for people recovering
from enduring mental health problems.
They provide a range of activities
in a supportive setting which include
woodwork, furniture restoration,
contract mailing and packaging and
deliveries around Cambridge. They are
an accredited centre offering vocational
access certificate and NVQ training
as part of a programme of
rehabilitation. People can attend two
to five days a week.
Skills Training UK Ltd
Cherry Hinton Hall
Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 8DW
Telephone: 01223 458257
Fax: 01223 458026
Contact the Administrator
Opening hours are Monday to Friday
Jobsearch Programme Centre: for
people needing support with jobseeking
skills. Available only to people on
Job Seekers Allowance referred by the
Information Technology Training
Centre: provides training in using
information technology to the longterm
unemployed and people changing
Learn Direct Centre providing learning
for all: Skills for Life, Business
Management and ITC courses. Travel
expenses can be reimbursed.
Vocational Specialists
They are Occupational Therapists who
work in the community, day-services
and ward-based teams. They have a
special interest in work, training and
employment. By giving you the
support and opportunity to review
your education, training and work
history, they can help you to: identify
all your skills, talents and personal
qualities; establish an Action Plan to
help you reach your long-term goals
for work and training; help you to
access ongoing support; produce a
portfolio to reduce the repetition of
your life story. You can contact a
Vocational Specialist through the
Community Mental Health Teams
or phone 01223 464010.
Sheltered work/vocational
The following organisations provide
work for people with mental health
needs who are not yet ready to enter
main-stream employment. Referral is
usually through other agencies, eg
mental health services, community
mental health teams, social services or
Castle Project Print Finishers
Co-operative Ltd
258 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 3NG
Tel:/Fax: 01223 414878
Print Finishers runs as a business servicing
local printers, schools, hospitals,
colleges and the City Council, etc.
They employ eight full-time people
recovering from mental health problems
and or disabilities. Work placement
opportunities to NVQ standards,
accredited NVQ centre. Sheltered
housing on site; drop-in art centre
usable for a small fee.
Papworth Trust
Bernard Sunley Centre
Ermine Street
Papworth Everard
Cambs CB3 8RG
Telephone: 01480 357200
Hester Adrian Centre
Hawthorn Way
Cambridge CB4 1RP
Telephone: 01223 506678
OR FREEPHONE 0800 952 5000
Supported and open employment
opportunities for people with disabilities
or people on health related benefits,
plus careers advice and planning.
They offer advice on college courses,
job hunting and support within the
They have three employment programmes:
New Deal – Support and advice for
people on health related benefits such
as incapacity benefit. Offers one-one
support to locate a suitable vacancy,
CV, interview techniques, work experience
and support for up to six months
in work.
WORKSTEP – This programme
provides one-to-one support and
advice to find paid employment and
ongoing support in the workplace.
WORKLINK – This programme
provides one-to-one support for
people with Learning Disabilities to
find volunteering, work experience
and paid work.
Telephone Freephone to get more
information on services provided and
eligibility criteria.
Supported Employment Project
Community Learning, ELH1101
Castle Court
Cambridge CB3 0AP
Telephone: 01223 718484
This project aims to find supported
appropriate part-time employment
places for adults with learning difficulties
or disabilities and for those with
mental health problems. Each placement
will take place for a few hours
each week over three months. Each
placement will be supported by a
mentor offering support and guidance
on the job.
The User Employment
Elizabeth House
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 07775 532243
The Programme aims to increase
access to employment within the
Mental Health Trust for people who
themselves have experienced mental
health problems.
The programme has two main components:
A Volunteer Programme: enabling
people who have experienced mental
health problems to gain the experience,
confidence and references they
will need to apply for posts in open
employment within or outside the
An Employment Programme: helping
people who have experienced more
serious mental health problems gain
and sustain employment in existing
posts within the Trust on the same terms
and conditions as other employees.
Having used mental health services
may be a positive advantage to
prospective applicants rather than an
uncomfortable ‘gap’ to explain on a
CV. Of course, not all people with
mental health problems will want to
work in a mental health trust, but for
those who do, this may be a very
useful route back to paid employment.
The project works in close partnership
with vocational link workers based in
community and ward teams, and
other agencies and voluntary groups
seeking to place and support mental
health service users in work.
Cambridge Enterprise Agency
71a Lensfield Road
Cambridge CB2 1EN
Telephone: 01223 323553
Fax: 01223 576553
Cambridge Enterprise Agency provides
training and advice to start-up and
small businesses. They provide free
one-to-one start-up and existing business
counselling sessions, as well as
free or heavily subsidised workshops
and seminars in all aspects of business.
Cambridge Co-Operative
Development Agency (CCDA)
Alex Wood Hall
Norfolk Street
Cambridge CB1 2LD
Telephone: 01223 360977
Start-up advice, guidance, training and
support and signposting for new and
existing social enterprises in
Cambridgeshire. Office staffed
Monday to Friday from 10.00am-
Many people with mental health problems
find that volunteering is rewarding
in itself and can be a way back into
mainstream employment. The follow-
ing agencies provide volunteering
Cambridge Volunteer Centre
Llandaff Chambers
2 Regent Street
Cambridge CB2 1AX
Telephone: 01223 356549
Fax: 01223 575377
Wheelchair, disabled and pram access.
The Volunteer Centre provides information
and advice on getting involved
with volunteering (helping in the
community) in and around Cambridge
and the surrounding villages. There are
hundreds of different volunteering
opportunities, they can help you find
something to suit you. They are open
to the public Monday to Thursday
10.00am-12noon and 2.00pm-4.00pm.
Alternatively, phone or e-mail for more
information. Visit the website to see
the hundreds of opportunities available.
Ely and District Volunteer Centre
41e Forehill
Cambs CB7 4AA
Tel/Fax: 01353 666556
Telephone: 01353 666553 (Social
car scheme only)
Telephone: 01353 659639
The Bureau can help people to access
volunteering opportunities and help
organisations to access volunteers.
They run a social car scheme and
gardening scheme for people in need
e.g. elderly or disabled and those who
are ill. There is a small mileage contribution
made for both services. Open
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and
Friday mornings 9.30am-12.30pm.
Volunteers Plus
91 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 7BS
Telephone: 01223 246669
Fax: 0870 762 8135

There are many Community Education
Colleges in Cambridgeshire. Contact
your local college for details of
courses. Colleges often provide
support and advice for people with
difficulties, including mental health
problems. Some courses are organised
so that you can start them at most
times of year and some are quite short,
so that you can just get a ‘taste’ to see
if you like it.
People on benefits can often get
courses free (after payment of a small
registration fee), if those courses are
‘accredited’. You can find out which
ones are accredited from the college
concerned. If you have a course you
would like to do and feel you need
extra support to be able to take part,
you can contact Susan Owen at the
Community Education Office.
Telephone: 01223 718484 or 01638
508430, Fax: 01223 718482. Email
Cambridge Regional College
Science Park Campus
Kings Hedges Road
Cambridge CB4 2QT
Telephone: 01223 418200
The college runs classes on a very wide
range of subjects, many of which lead
to qualifications. These include small
basic skills classes in literacy and
numeracy. Students receive educational
guidance about other courses
that might suit their needs. Study
Support can provide additional one-toone
tuition and help in classes if
required. The support is adapted to the
needs of the student. These needs can
include mental health and emotional
issues. A counselling service is available
for students. There is continuous
enrolment and courses are free to
people in receipt of benefits.
The following courses may be of
particular interest to people with
mental health difficulties who would
like to return to education and feel
that they would like to develop their
confidence in order to successfully
complete courses.
Creative Studies
Telephone: 01223 418505
Contact Mary O’Sullivan
Creative Studies is a bridging course
specially designed for students with
mental health difficulties. The courses
run over 10 weeks, for three hours per
week. Exercises on motivation, selfesteem
and assertiveness help to
promote learners’ confidence. Courses
include creative writing, media studies,
communication and visual arts.
Students are supported in the group
where they may build new friendships
and may then move on to another
course of their choice.
Telephone: 01223 418505
Contact Mary O’Sullivan
Options is a programme of study for
adults who, for a variety of reasons,
have missed out on life’s opportunities
and now wish to return to education.
Some have enduring mental health
14 Education
problems or have been long term
unemployed. The Options programme
provides a unique opportunity to
increase self-confidence in a small
group, in a relaxed and friendly environment.
The course runs on
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from
9.00am to 3.00pm.
Alpha Programme
Telephone: 01223 532205
Contact Jeremy Symes
This is a programme of educational
opportunities for service users and exservice
users of mental health services.
Courses run during term times only
(36 weeks). Courses are free, but there
is a small registration fee. Phone or
write for an informal meeting. The
tutor can visit students at home, work
or in hospital for the initial meeting if
If you would like information about
the full range of Cambridge
Regional College’s full and part-time
courses please telephone (01223)
Harvey’s Barn, Park End
Swaffham Bulbeck
Cambridge CB5 0NA
Telephone: 01223 811662
Red2Green provides leisure, educational
and work opportunities for
people aged 14 upwards with a wide
range of disabilities. This includes
learning disability, physical disability,
sensory impairment, autistic spectrum
disorder and mental health problems.
They work over Cambridgeshire.
They also raise awareness about the
positive capacities of people with
disabilities and promote the positive
and valuable contribution they make
to society.
The Cambridge City Council Sports
Development Service provide a
programme of activity for Community
Mental Health Service Users. There is a
wide ranging number of activities on
offer including swimming, yoga, gym
sessions, football and badminton.
Emphasis during the sessions is to be
physically active, and have fun in a
social setting. There is no formal referral
system and individuals are encouraged
to turn up and have a go at any
of the activities. There is a buddy
system in place for those who feel they
may need a little extra support.
This year has seen the emergence of a
mental health focus group which will
have a great responsibility this year in
shaping and developing the work that
the service offer, with the aim of
encouraging more service users to
participate in physical activity opportunities.
Membership of the group is
voluntary and open to any service user.
For more information on the focus
group or any of the activities that the
City Council has to offer, please
Sports Development Office
Sports Development Team
Cambridge City Council
Telephone: 01223 457547
Cambridge YMCA
Queen Anne House
Gonville Place
Cambridge CB1 1ND
Telephone: 01223 356998
Fax: 01223 312749
They have a befriending scheme for
people with special needs or disabilities,
including mental health problems.
Volunteer befrienders work one-toone
in a gym setting. The sessions are
free to volunteers. The partner can
attend the sessions at a reduced rate if
on benefits or low income. Contact
Paul Huzzey on 01223 273812.
City Leisurecard/THEcard
For further information or an application
form please contact:
Cambridge Parkside Pools
Telephone: 01223 446104
The City Leisurecard (18+ years) and
THEcard (3-17 years) are discount cards
available to Cambridge City residents,
which entitle the holder to money off
many leisure facilities and activities
including the CitySport programme.
Leisurecard B and THEcard B are available
to Cambridge City residents (if
you pay your council tax to Cambridge
City Council).
Leisurecard Student and THEcard
Student are available to students (aged
16+) that are Cambridge City residents.
Leisurecard A and THEcard A are available
if you are a resident in Cambridge
City and you are in receipt of a means
tested benefit. These include Family
Tax Credits, Housing Benefits, Council
Tax Benefits, Disability Living
Allowance, Pensions Tax Credit and
Job Seekers Allowance.
To apply for a Leisurecard/THEcard you
15 Sport and Leisure
will need to complete an application
form, which can be obtained from any
of the places listed below, and deliver
it in person to Cambridge Parkside
Pools, The Abbey Pool, or Cherry
Hinton Village Centre or by post to The
City Leisurecard, Cambridge Parkside
Pools, Gonville Place, Cambridge, CB1
Fitness 4 Health Scheme in South
South Cambs District Council
Telephone: 01954 212042
Contact the Health & Exercise
Development Co-ordinator
To join the fitness for health scheme,
you must be referred by a health
professional. You can then make an
appointment for a Fitness 4 Health
assessment. There are a number of
centres that offer the scheme in South
Cambs. You will need to make an
appointment for a personal assessment.
Following a personal assessment you
will be given a tailor made fitness
programme. You will have two supervised
classes per week for 10 weeks
followed by a final assessment to see
how well you have achieved your
goals. Our aim is to help you to choose
regular activities to continue with a
healthy active lifestyle. All centres have
an extensive range of activities.
Kelsey Kerridge Sports Centre
Queen Anne Terrace
Gonville Place
Telephone: 01223 462226
Fax: 01223 462228
Some concessions are available for
those with disability or other benefits.
Please contact Kelsey Kerridge for
more information.
Lifecraft Singers
The Lifecraft singing group meets
every Wednesday at Lifecraft from 12
noon - 1.30pm. It is open to anyone
who has mental health needs. They
sing a wide range of songs from different
traditions around the world in twoand
three-part harmony, plus some
popular songs. Everything is taught by
ear, there is no need to read music or
have much singing experience. Just
come along! They also perform in various
mental health and other settings,
but there is no pressure to perform if
you don’t want to. The group is run for
Lifecraft by Talking in Tune. Contact
Bev Sedley on 07773 862982.
Millennium Arts Project (MAP)
Telephone: 01223 881267
Voluntary Co-ordinator Christina
Run by Friends of Fulbourn Hospital
and the Community, MAP places
Artists-in-Residence on the hospital
wards, in day centres and related
community settings. This is to give
pleasure and provide activity and intellectual
stimulation on an informal
basis, for anybody of any age who has
a mental health problem, together
with carers. It covers the arts generally,
such as pottery, textiles, art, mosaics,
dance, music, storytelling and poetry.
South Cambs Sports
Development Team
South Cambridgeshire District
Cambourne Business Park
Cambourne CB3 6EA
Telephone: 01954 713362
Contact the Sports Project Officer
Provides a variety of different sports
and exercise sessions for users of the
Mental Health services.
Start-Up Exercise Referral
The Abbey Pool, Whitehill Road
Cambridge CB5 8NT
Telephone: 01223 415151
Fax: 01223 416563
Contact the Sports Development Office
(Start-up Co-ordinator)
Start-up involves medical practitioners
who are registered with the scheme,
referring patients who would gain
health benefits from leading a more
active lifestyle. Each patient is referred
to an exercise professional for personalised
advice and an exercise
The programme runs for a period of 12
weeks, during which the patient is
monitored and encouraged towards a
more active lifestyle. If you are interested
please speak to your health
professional, whether this be your GP,
nurse, occupational therapist, dietician
or physiotherapist. For more information
regarding the scheme, please
contact the start-up co-ordinator.
As well as conventional public transport
services in the area there are a
number of other alternatives, that may
be able to assist. These schemes may
be able to transport individuals or
groups to attend groups and activities
and enable people to socialise, which
can have a positive effect on a person’s
mental health. These schemes can
help to get people with transport difficulties
out and about. Many feel that
difficulties in accessing transport can
increase the feeling of loneliness and
isolation that can affect those people
with a mental health need.
There are a number of different transport
services available, for example
community transport schemes that aim
to offer transport for essential journeys
to those who may be excluded from
using conventional methods of public
transport. Such exclusion could include
mobility difficulties getting to or onto
public transport.
Local Services
Local Bus services and
Telephone: 01223 423578
Go Whippett
Telephone: 01480 463792
Telephone: 01440 702257
Huntingdon & District
Telephone: 01480 453159
Park and Ride in Cambridge
Services run every 10 minutes into the
City Centre, Monday-Saturday from
five sites on each of the main roads
into Cambridge. All Park and Ride
services have stops in St. Andrews
Street, City Centre and at the Hospital.
In addition, the 99 service serves
Addenbrooke’s Hospital. Just park your
car at any of the sites and pay the fare
on the bus.
General, Local and
National Travel
National Rail Enquiries
Telephone: 08457 484950
Telephone: 0870 608 2608
Textphone: 0870 241 2216
WAGN Disabled Persons’
Telephone: 08457 226688
Local Travel Information
Timetables of local bus services are
displayed at most bus stops and bus
stations. Timetables may be obtained
from post offices, libraries, bus stations
and tourist information offices.
Timetables are also available from the
‘Bus Services’ link on the County
Council website at www.cambridge
Transport 16
Cambridgeshire County Council
Passenger Enquiry Line
Telephone: 01223 717740
Community Transport
Voluntary Car Schemes
There are a number of voluntary car
schemes available in the area. These
schemes offer organised lifts to those
needing to make essential journeys
where no suitable public services exist.
Typical journeys may include GP
surgery, dentist, chiropody or opticians
appointments, visiting friends and relatives
in hospital and under special
circumstances may take those attending
outpatients medical appointments.
Journeys are usually arranged by telephone,
by contacting the scheme closest
to you. There will be a set fare
which is set by each scheme. You need
to book two days in advance. It is
important to check the types of journey
the schemes may undertake as
each scheme sets its own criteria on
the purpose of each journey. For a list
of the schemes and further information
please contact the Community
Transport Officer at Cambridgeshire
County Council, telephone 01223
Dial-a-ride Schemes
These schemes are available where
people are unable to use public transport,
for a variety of reasons including
mobility problems or because there is
no alternative form of passenger transport.
Cambridge Dial-a-Ride
Unit F4a, Eastern Court
182/190 Newmarket Road
Cambridge CB5 8HE
Telephone: 01223 506335
(enquiries only)
Provides door-to-door minibus service
for residents of Cambridge and
surrounding villages who are unable to
use public transport. All vehicles are
accessible to wheelchair users. Please
contact for membership details and
further information.
3CT (Three Counties Transport)
Lyn Burgess or Chris Hill
Council Offices
Lower Downs Slade
Suffolk CB9 8HB
Telephone: 01440 712028
3CT is a community transport brokerage
scheme covering villages in South
Cambs, Essex and Suffolk, which look
to Haverhill as their centre. All vehicles
are fully accessible to wheelchair users
and are available for hire to local
groups. Community car services are
also available.
Other Schemes
Shopmobility Schemes
These schemes assist shoppers and are
available at locations in Cambridge
City Centre.
Cambridge Shopmobility
Shopmobility is a scheme to provide
electrically powered scooters, wheelchairs
and manual wheelchairs to help
people who have limited mobility –
through permanent or temporary
disablement, illness, accident or age –
to shop and use the facilities within
The Lion Yard Shopmobility
Telephone: 01223 457452 (both
Opening hours: 10.00am-4.00pm
Monday to Friday.
The office has now moved to Park
Street Car Park (Ground Floor). There is
plenty of Parking for Blue Badge and
Shopmobility users eight minutes from
the City Centre.
They also have a satellite office near
Drummer Street Bus Station manned
part time for customers who wish to
arrive by bus, taxi, Dial-a-Ride or Park
and Ride. This will need to be prebooked
by phone from the new Park
Street Office.
Grafton Centre
Grafton Centre Office
Telephone: 01223 461858
Opening hours 10.00am-4.00pm
Monday to Friday and 11.00am to
5.00pm Sunday
Taxi Card Schemes
These offer a subsidy for taxi travel
made by members of their schemes.
Cambridge City Council Taxi Card
Scheme (for Cambridge City Centre)
Cambridge City Council
The Guildhall
Cambridge CB2 3QJ
Telephone: 01223 457316
Cambridgeshire County Council (Fen
Ditton, Horningsea and Teversham
TaxiPlus Scheme
Telephone: 01223 717755
Contact the Community Transport
Please contact these schemes direct for
information on eligibility and availability.
Concessionary Travel
Concessionary Bus Fare
The ‘bus pass’ gives you a reduction on
all fares on all local bus services
throughout Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
If you have a pass because
you are blind or partially sighted then
you travel free.
To be eligible for a statutory bus pass
you must live in the relevant district or
area and either have reached the age
of 60 (men and women) or are
disabled according to a number of
eligibility criteria. Full details of eligibility
criteria and how to apply can be
obtained from your local city or district
council office, or from most local post
offices. You can also request an application
form and leaflet by contacting
Cambridge City Council on 01223
457707 or South Cambs District
Council on 08450 450 500.
A number of railcards are available and
offer discounts on most rail fares.
Information on railcards and how to
apply can be found at main railway
stations or on
Transport to Health Services
In some cases, it may be possible to
arrange hospital based transport for
those unable to use public transport,
either because of disability or the
nature of treatment received, or you
live in an area with no public transport.
Discuss with your GP about whether
you meet the criteria for hospital transport
for your appointment.
If this cannot be arranged then it may
be possible to get assistance from a
voluntary car scheme. Please see
details above for more information.
Help with Travel Expenses
Patients using public or private transport
to receive NHS treatment may
obtain assistance with their travelling
expenses if they are in receipt of
certain benefits or on low income.
Leaflet H11 outlines who is eligible and
how to receive payments. This leaflet is
produced by the Department of Health
and is available from Social Security
Offices, GP’s and NHS Hospitals.
For more information on transport in
the locality please contact the
Community Transport Officer for a
copy of the Cambridgeshire County
Council Community Transport Guide.
There are an increasing number of
vehicles that have been adapted and
modified to make them easier to use.
Many buses now have designated
seating for disabled passengers and
space may be provided for a wheelchair
or pushchair. Other vehicles such
as taxis and mini buses now have
accessible vehicles. It is always best to
check with the service operator
whether accessible vehicles are available
on the service you wish to use.
Community Transport Officer
Cambridgeshire County Council
Box ET 1015, Shire Hall
Cambridge CB3 0AP
Telephone: 01223 717755
Cambridgeshire County Council has
produced a Community Transport
Guide, which has a comprehensive
guide to transport services in the area.
For more information and a copy of
the guide please contact the above.
It has been decided not to include a
section on individual benefits any
more, as this area is extremely complex
and constantly changing. For sources
of independent advice and information
on benefits and other issues
contact Directions Plus (page 22),
The Cambridge Independent
Advice Centre (page 22) or The
Citizens’ Advice Bureau (page 21).
The Social Security Office
Henry Giles House
73-79 Chesterton Road
Cambridge CB4 3BQ
Telephone: 01223 545200
The Social Security Office provides
information on benefits in English and
a wide range of other languages and
processes most claims.
Useful leaflets which they publish
• Sick and Disabled (SD1)
• Caring for Someone (SD4)
The agency also operates the Benefit
Enquiry Line (BEL) for general advice
and information for disabled people
and carers, but cannot deal with individual
claims. Forms, which are
dispatched from the BEL, will be dated
and any claim will be backdated to
that time. In some circumstances
forms can be completed over the
Benefit Enquiry Line for people
with disabilities
Telephone: 0800 882200
Textphone: 0800 243355
Benefits Advice 17
Are you a carer?
A carer is anyone who spends time
and energy looking after a friend, relative,
neighbour or spouse who is ill or
disabled. This may be a full-time activity
or as little as keeping a regular eye
on someone. You may not think of
yourself as a carer because you undertake
your tasks out of love or friendship.
Many carers do not recognise
themselves as such and therefore do
not always seek information or know
where to look for further help.
Your Own Needs as a
It is essential for a carer to be aware of
the need to look after their own health
and mental well being. Carers are
vulnerable to poor health and depression.
Regular breaks from caring are
advisable. Isolation can be a major
problem. It is important for carers to
maintain and cultivate connections
outside the home.
As part of the Care Programme
Approach (see Chapter 2), the mental
health services are in a position to
meet the needs of carers more effectively
than in the past. The CPA Care
Co-ordinator in the community, or
primary nurse on a ward, has the role
of identifying carers in each case, and
then talking to them to see what they
need. You may need information, time
booked with a psychiatrist, support
through carer’s self-help groups, or
professional advice, amongst other
things. Under the Carers and Disabled
Children Act 2000 you are entitled to
an assessment of your own needs as a
carer. (This right exists whether or not
the person you care for is on the CPA.)
A carer’s assessment may lead to a
range of services being provided to
you, to help you carry on in your caring
role. This might include respite for you
as a carer through the cared for person
going to stay in a residential care home
for a week, or financial assistance with
transport costs. This funding comes via
the carers’ grant which is paid by the
government to local authorities.
Emergency Help
For assistance outside office hours
contact the Emergency Duty Team
Telephone 01733 561370.
Carers’ Contingency Fund
Cambridge Council for Voluntary
Llandaff Chambers
2 Regent Street
Cambridge CB2 1AX
Telephone: 01223 716875
Grants up to £500 are available from
Carers’ Contingency Fund to support
carers living in the area who are in
need, to pay for unexpected emergencies,
items of equipment, respite care
or ‘one-off’ expenses. Application
forms are available.
Carers’ Support
The following groups are specifically
for carers of people with mental health
18 Carers
Rethink (Cambridge
Schizophrenia Fellowship Group)
Office 11, 6/8 Dartford Road
Cambs PE15 8AD
Telephone/Fax: 01354655786 (office)
Telephone: 01354 652042 (out-ofhours)
Mobile: 07860 589758
Contact: David Jordan, Chairman/
The above numbers operate the
Cambridge CARELINE.
The Careline is available on a 24-hour,
365-day basis for carers of people with
psychotic illness in the Cambridge
area. Cambridge Group is a purely
voluntary group run by carers for
carers of people with schizophrenia
and other severe and enduring mental
illnesses. The group offers one-to-one
The group campaigns on local mental
health issues and raises and increases
the profile of carers’ issues at local level
and also, where necessary, at national
level. There are no subscriptions or
charges for membership of the group.
Members receive a monthly newsletter.
Group meetings are held monthly,
on the last Wednesday of the month,
alternating discussions and guest
speakers. Social gatherings are also
Rethink (National Schizophrenia
Fellowship) (Ely Group)
20 Northwold
Cambs CB6 1BG
Telephone: 01353 661918
Please phone the above number for
contact and support.
MDF (The Bi-Polar Organisation)
(see page 61)
The group is open to carers of people
with manic depression as well as those
with a diagnosis of manic depression.
The services below are set up to
provide help, information and support
for all carers, as they understand the
problems and feelings of isolation
experienced by carers. Several support
groups for carers are available locally,
run mainly by Health and Social
Services Teams and voluntary organisations.
Hilltop Day and Carers’ Centre
Primrose Street
Cambridge CB4 3EH
Telephone: 01223 712056
The Carers’ Centre provides a focus for
support to carers including information,
advice and a drop-in. It is also the
base for the Carers’ Project Worker
who is available to:
• help carers know what statutory
and voluntary support is available
in the area
• help support groups and networks
to develop
• give a voice to carers, stressing
their needs.
The Carers’ Project Worker has strong
links with people who are in a position
to help carers. The project worker also
staffs the Carers’ drop-in session on a
Monday afternoon and distributes the
Carers’ Newsletter. There are a number
of local carers’ groups in South and
East Cambridgeshire. Please ring the
centre for details.
Cambridge and South and East
Cambs Carers’ Consortium
Hilltop Day and Carers Centre
Primrose Street
Cambridge CB4 3EH
Telephone: 01223 712055
The Consortium is a partnership of
carers, carers’ support groups, health
and social services representatives and
voluntary organisations who focus on
carers’ issues and ensure that carers’
concerns are taken into account when
services are provided and planned. It
aims to listen to carers to find services
and facilities that meet their requirements
and to raise awareness of
carers’ concerns throughout society.
The Consortium works closely with
Cambridge Carers’ Centre and Carers’
Project Worker and can be contacted
through them.
Carers’ UK
Ruth Pitter House
20-25 Glasshouse Yard
London EC1A 4JT
Telephone: 020 7490 8818 (Office)
Advice Line: 0808 8087777
Carersline gives advice by letter or telephone.
It campaigns for increased
support and benefits and produces a
carer’s emergency card. The Carers’
line is open 10.00am-12noon and
2.00pm-4.00pm Wednesday and
Thursday. They have a range of written
materials available for young and older
Cambridge Carers’ Group
City Community Mental Health
Auckland Road Health Clinic
Auckland Road
Cambridge CB5 8DW
Telephone: 01223 533300
The Cambridge Carers’ Group is open
to all carers and relatives of people
with mental health problems aged 17-
64 who are registered with Cambridge
City GPs. The group meets monthly
from October to June offering information
and advice, support from staff
and other carers and provides a forum
for discussion. Please contact the
CMHT for more information.
Carers’ UK
(Ely and Cambridge Branch)
5 Mayfield Close
Cambs CB6 3AB
Telephone: 01353 663928
The group provides information,
advice and support for carers of people
with any kind of health problem. They
can put people in touch with other
carers in similar circumstances. They
also provide information on the Young
Carers group which helps young
people who are caring for relatives.
Cambridgeshire Mental Health
Telephone: 0808 808 2121 (FREEPHONE)
(See page 32)
Breaks for Primary Care
Crossroads (Cambridge City)
Lincoln House, The Paddocks
347 Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 8DH
Telephone: 01223 415600
Fax: 01223 415414
Email: jayne.kalton@crossroadscambridge.
Are you a primary care-giver for a
family member or friend? If you care
for someone who needs support to
remain at home, because of ill-health
or disability (including mental health
difficulties), Crossroads may be able to
provide support to enable you to take
a break from those responsibilities.
Care is provided in the community and
aims to meet each individual’s special
needs with continuity of staff and
regular visits. Care can sometimes be
provided free or can be purchased
privately or by statutory authorities.
Office hours Monday to Friday,
Young Carers
Centre 33 has a Young Carers’
Project Worker (see page 93).
Carers Project
Suite C, Ambury House
89 High Street
Huntingdon PE29 3DP
Telephone: 0845 601 7881 (Carer’s
For carers of people suffering from
mental ill-health. Covers South and
East Cambs and Huntingdon. Telephone
or face-to-face support available.
Phone for information, one-to-one
support, on-going support. Able to
offer support to carers at meetings eg
CPA review. You can refer yourself or
be referred by a professional eg, GP,
Care Co-ordinator. If no reply leave a
message and someone will get back to
you as soon as possible.
Brookside Family Consultation
18 Trumpington Road
Cambridge CB2 2AH
Telephone: 01223 746001
Fax: 01223 746002
Brookside Family Consultation Clinic is
a specialist child and adolescent
mental health service. It is part of the
NHS, and is provided by Cambridge
and Peterborough Mental Health
Partnership Trust. The Clinic is staffed
by teams of mental health professionals
including psychiatrists, psychotherapists,
nurses, psychologists, family
therapists, primary mental health
workers, play and art therapists, social
workers and other mental health
workers as well as administration staff.
They are a teaching clinic where
research and training are integral to
their services and part of their efforts
to provide high quality services. They
also have close links with the local
Children’s Disability Team which works
with children and adolescents who
have significant learning difficulties,
and with specialist inpatient mental
health services at Ida Darwin Hospital
at Fulbourn.
Brookside Family Consultation Clinic
accepts referrals of children and
adolescents from 0 to 16 years from
relevant professionals, but we do not
accept self-referrals from children and
families. If you have any worries about
your child you should first talk to your
GP, child and family nurse, paediatrician
(children’s doctor), teacher or
social worker. He or she may be able to
help you resolve the problem or may
make a referral to our service. Open
Monday to Friday, 9.00am-5.00pm.
The Croft
Child and Family Mental Health Unit
Ida Darwin, Fulbourn
Cambridge CB1 1EE
Telephone: 01223 885800
Fax: 01223 885801
Contact the Charge Nurse
The Croft is a five-day, ten bedded
specialist assessment/treatment unit
for families with their children under
12 years of age that have mental
health concerns or specific mental
health conditions that affect a child’s
development and behaviour.
The Darwin Centre for Young
Ida Darwin, Fulbourn
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 012223 885850
The Darwin Centre for Young People is
a psychiatric inpatient unit for young
people between the ages of 12 and 18
years suffering from severe mental
health problems.
Phoenix Centre
Ida Darwin, Fulbourn
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 884314
Fax: 01223 884313
The Phoenix Centre is based at the Ida
Darwin site. They provide an inpatient,
day-patient and out-patient
service for adolescents who have
eating disorders. They recognise the
need to work closely with the young
person and with their family and
19 Children and Young People
others involved in their care. Local
referrals can be made through GPs.
Other referrals need to be made
through the young person’s child and
adolescent psychiatrist.
Young People’s Service (YPS)
18a Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 2AH
Telephone: 01223 726145
The YPS is a psychotherapy treatment
service for young people aged 16-25.
They need to have a referral with GP
backing, and will offer a first consultation
to establish what the service may
offer; individual, group or family therapy,
or advise some other approach
and help. There may be a short wait
for a vacancy for therapy to become
available. However there will be
arrangements made for contact during
this period.
The following organisations are not
specifically concerned with mental
The Ark Health Clinic
Auckland Road Family Planning
Auckland Road
Cambridge CB5 8DW
Telephone: 01223 533320
Fax: 01223 533323
Website: www.familyplanningcambridge.
They offer a free, confidential information
service on health issues such as
sex, drugs, emotional problems, smoking
and healthy eating. Appointments
available: Monday to Thursday,
10.00am-3.00pm and 5.00pm-
7.30pm; Friday 10.00am-3.00pm and
Saturdays 11.00am-1.30pm. On
Saturdays from 12noon-1.30pm, they
provide a no-appointment service for
young people under the age of 20.
Castle Project (Housing)
Offices C & D Dales Brewery
Gwydir Street
Cambridge CB1 2LJ
Telephone: 01223 566737
Fax: 01223 566739
Email: castle.project@richmond
Contact the Manager
They provide supported accommodation
and floating support for young
people (16-25) moving towards independence.
Each person has a key
worker who offers practical and
emotional support. A daily drop-in, an
arts project, an activity programme
and annual holiday are also part of the
package. Places are funded by either
Social Services, Probation or the
European Social Fund. Office hours are
10.00am-6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
Centre 33
33 Clarendon Street
Cambridge CB1 1JX
Telephone: 01223 314763 (office)
Telephone: 01223 316488 (helpline)
Telephone: 01223 712072 (young
Provides free and confidential information,
pregnancy testing, condoms,
internet use and counselling for young
people aged 25 and under. Also runs a
young carers project, and housing
advocacy and advice project for young
people up to the age of 17. Opening
hours are Monday to Wednesday
10.00am-8.15pm, Friday and Saturday
Freepost 1111
London N1 0BR
Telephone: 0800 1111 (freephone)
This is a telephone helpline (freephone)
for children in trouble or
danger. It is open 24-hours a day. Keep
trying if it is engaged! If you would like
to write to them please use the above
Ormiston Children and Families
Cambridgeshire Travellers’
Travellers Advocacy & Information
7e High Street
Huntingdon PE28 9LQ
Telephone number: 01480 496577
Fax: 01480 496566
Ormiston Children and Families Trust
works to promote the well being of
children and young people, especially
those disadvantaged by their life experiences
or circumstances. This is
achieved through direct service provision
and by raising awareness of
related issues through research, publications,
conferences and events. They
are one of the largest voluntary
providers of support services to children
and families in the Eastern
Region. Ormiston opened its first project
in 1981 and currently have 25
community and prison based projects
across five counties. One such project
is The Cambridgeshire Travellers’
Initiative. The project is based in a
county where Travellers represent the
largest minority ethnic group. Project
services include:
• a range of activities aimed at supporting
children and young people
within Travelling communities
• an outreach team who work to
ensure that Travelling communities
are involved in relevant consultation
with service providers, enabling
service delivery to be shaped to
meet this community’s needs
• an advocacy and information team
which works with individual
Travellers ensuring that they are
able to find out about and access
the services they need, the team
includes a specialist advocacy worker
for those Travellers needing to
improve their emotional wellbeing.
Romsey Mill Trust Ltd
Hemingford Road
Cambridge CB1 3BZ
Telephone: 01223 213162
Fax: 01223 566092
Romsey Mill provides activities
throughout the year for under-fives
and their parents and siblings, school
children, young people (11-21),
Umbrella Autism and over 60s. Using a
variety of provisions they support
young parents and other young
people facing difficulties with schooling,
drugs, crime or homelessness. The
Centre welcomes people of all ages
and backgrounds from throughout
Cambridge and Peterborough
Queen Anne House, Gonville Place
Cambridge CB1 1ND
Telephone: 01223 356998
Fax: 01223 312749
Email: or
Contact the Housing Manger or Senior
Project Worker
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
YMCA (Cambridge site) is a supported
accommodation project with 78 bed
spaces. This is broken down into 18
bed-sits, 11 flatlets, 9 shared flats and
31 single studio flats. They house
people from the ages of 16-28.
Each resident is allocated a key worker
when they move in. This is usually the
person who interviewed them.
Keyworkers’ tasks include addressing
primary needs in terms of benefits
including CCGs, housing benefit,
health care (registering with local
dentists, doctors), educational needs
and identifying any issues that may
need addressing to allow the young
person to settle in and move through
the building towards independence eg
domestic/life skills. This will include
looking at the possibility of mediation
as going home is a positive move on if
All housing applications are on a referral
only basis from the following agencies:
Cambridge City Council, South
Cambs District Council, East Cambs
District Council, 16+ service,
Connexions, Centre 33, Probation,
Young Carers
Contact Centre 33 (above and see
page 93) or Carers UK on 020 7490
8818. Carers Advice and Information
Line: 0808 808 7777. Open
Wednesdays and Thursdays 10.00am-
12noon and 2.00pm-4.00pm
There are several organisations in the
Cambridge area which provide services
exclusively for women. None of them
are designed specifically for women
with mental health problems, but you
can use them if you have mental
health problems. (Lifecraft has a
women’s group which meets every
Thursday afternoon for free activities
such as aromatherapy, art and yoga.
This is for women who experience or
who have experienced mental health
Cambridge Women’s Resources
Hooper Street
Cambridge CB1 2NZ
Telephone: 01223 321148
Cambridge Women’s Resources
Centre offers a supportive environment
for all women, returning to
work, already at work or balancing a
demanding home life, including those
with mental health problems and
The Centre provides free training,
education and support for women in
the Cambridgeshire area. Courses
include Computing, Woodwork,
English, Maths, ESOL, Creative
Writing, Assertiveness and Tai Chi. Free
childcare is available for women using
CWRC services.
Amber Project
Telephone: 01223 304348
The Amber project is based at the
Cambridge Women’s Resources
Centre and works with women both in
the Centre and in the community,
providing information, advice and
guidance on work and training. Oneto-
one appointments are available as
well as drop-in sessions at various locations
throughout Cambridgeshire.
Amber also offers short supported
work placements to enable women to
put existing skills and knowledge into
practice and gain confidence or learn
new skills in work situations.
Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre
Box R, 12 Mill Road
Cambridge CB1 2AD
Telephone: 01223 245888
Women who provide support, advice
and information for women survivors
of rape and sexual abuse. Telephone
support offered. Phone Wednesday
7.00pm-10.00pm and Saturday
11.00am-2.00pm staff permitting.
Answerphone at other times.
Cambridge Women’s Aid
PO Box 302
Cambridge CB1 1EA
Telephone: 01223 460947
Fax: 01223 324606
They offer refuge and support to
women and their children escaping
domestic abuse. They provide a safe
house and help with practical problems
or housing, legal proceedings,
benefits etc. They also offer help and
support to women and their children
experiencing domestic abuse who are
20 Women
not living in the refuge and can
arrange to meet with women to talk
confidentially. Rental charges for the
refuge are usually covered by Housing
Choices Counselling
Choices offers a confidential counselling
service for those whose lives are
affected by child sexual abuse. Services
available include one-to-one counselling
and facilitated self-help singlesex
support groups for survivors. See
page 48.
Cambridge Women and
Homelessness Group/Corona
1 Corona Road
Cambridge CB4 3EE
Telephone: 01223 369125
Fax: 01223 246228
The group runs two houses for homeless
women without dependants.
Corona House is a six-bed hostel
providing temporary accommodation
with support and there is a ‘move on’
house, which provides permanent
accommodation for two residents.
Support is also provided for 30 ex-residents
now living in the community and
there is an informal drop-in service for
ex-residents. Support during office
hours and an emergency contact
number at other times. Women can
refer themselves, but referrals also
come from other agencies.
Orwell Housing Association
Whitworth House
109 Chesterton Road
Cambridge CB4 3AR
Telephone: 01223 517287
Fax: 01223 517286
Provides accommodation for 13 young
single women (16-25). Applications by
referral or personal application. Low
The Family Unit
Parkside Police Station
Cambridge CB1 1JG
Telephone: 01223 358966
Fax: 01223 823514
This unit consists of child protection
officers and domestic violence officers.
People needing advice can contact the
unit directly (phone 8.00am-4.00pm
Monday to Saturday). There is an
answerphone at all times but it is best
to speak to someone in person. If you
have any serious concerns regarding
child protection and domestic violence
contact the Central Task and Referral
Unit on 01480 428082 (8.00am-
5.00pm, Monday to Friday). This unit
can also be contacted for general
The Family Unit liases with other agencies
including Social Services and the
Women’s Refuge. Although this entry
is included in the Women’s section of
the handbook, men are welcome to
use the unit.
Miscarriage Association
See page 62.
Threshold Women’s Mental
Health Infoline
14 St George’s Place
East Sussex BN1 4GB
National Infoline: 0808 808 6000
Administration/Fax: 01273 626444
Contact the Infoline co-ordinator
National women and mental health
information line providing a range of
factsheets and information, details of
services throughout the UK, self-help
and support group contacts, information
on counselling and therapy, and
much more. Aims to help women
experiencing mental health difficulties
and/or emotional distress, their carers,
families, friends and partners and
workers supporting women with
mental health issues. All staff are
trained in counselling skills and are
able to support women to access
information and other services if they
are calling in distress.
The Infoline is open: Monday and
Wednesday: 10.00am-12noon and
2.00pm-4.30pm; Monday to Thursday
2.00pm-4.30pm. There is a 24-hour
confidential answerphone outside of
these opening hours. Calls welcome
through Typetalk and Languageline.
Audio factsheets available on request.
The following organisation provides a
national helpline for women who selfinjure:
Bristol Crisis Service for Women
PO Box 654, Bristol BS99 1XH
Telephone/Fax: 0117 9279600
Telephone: 0117 925 1119 (helpline)
Helpline service for women in distress.
Friday and Saturday nights 9.00pm-
12.30am; and Sunday evening
6.00pm-9.00pm. They also provide a
range of information about self-injury
and self-help groups, and provide
workshops and training for professionals
working with people who selfinjure.
Mental Health services for older people
are provided across Cambridgeshire by
the Cambridge and Peterborough
Mental Health Partnerships NHS Trust.
Services in Southern Cambridgeshire
James Ward
Telephone: 01223 586889/586873
An acute admission ward with 22 beds
based on Addenbrooke’s hospital site,
James Ward cares for people who are
suffering a range of functional illness
for example depression, manic depression,
anxiety and schizophrenia.
Denbigh Ward
Telephone: 01223 218665
Denbigh Ward has 18 admission beds
for short and long-term assessment
and treatment of older people with
dementia from Cambridge City area.
Dementia care mapping helps to guide
the team in providing person centred
care and treatment.
Springbank Ward
Telephone: 01223 218538
Springbank has 20 admission beds for
short and long term assessment and
treatment of older people with
dementia from South Cambs, East
Cambs, Royston and Essex patches.
Dementia care mapping guide the
team in providing person centred care
and treatment.
David Clark House
Telephone: 01223 218865
David Clarke House has 22 beds and
works to support patients suffering
from long term functional mental
illnesses but also admits acute functionally
unwell patients.
Day Services
Deighton Day Hospital
Ida Darwin, Fulbourn
Telephone: 01223 884301
This service provides access to a therapeutic
and socially stimulating environment.
They offer an assessment and
treatment service and a range of individually
tailored treatments or respite
care, which will promote an increased
sense of well-being and a reduction in
distress of those individuals and their
carers. They are staffed by specialists in
mental health. The service is operational
Monday to Friday.
‘C’ Group
Telephone: 01223 218928/218941
This service is for those people with an
enduring functional mental illness and
it operates two days in Cambridge
(Cherry Hinton) and one day in
Melbourn (Moorlands).
Rural Day Care Service
Telephone: 01763 216900
This is operational in different South
Cambs areas in order for it to be close
to where people live. It is open during
the day from Monday to Saturday (not
Fridays). Office based in Melbourn.
Intermediate Care Service
Telephone: 01223 884301
This flexible service is based at the
same building as the Deighton Day
Hospital. It offers a short term assessment,
treatment and respite care service
to individuals known to the mental
health service. Patients also have
access to the wide range of individual
or group programmes. There are six
beds. It operates over 24 hours, six
Older People 21
days a week from Monday to Saturday
lunch time.
Community Mental
Health Teams for Older
People (CMHTOP)
There are seven community resource
teams for older people that serve the
catchment area of Southern
Cambridgeshire. They are staffed by
health and social services. The
CMHTOPs have bases within the
catchment areas they serve to link
closely to primary health care teams,
voluntary organisations and to be close
to the people they work to support.
The teams include CPNs, social workers,
occupational therapists support
workers, and secretaries with psychiatry
and psychology support. They
operate Monday through Friday
9.00am to 5.00pm.
East Cambs CMHTOP
Burwell Office, 1 Dalzells Lane
Cambs CB5 OGA
Telephone: 01638 618046
Fax: 01638 618050
East Cambs CMHTOP
Princess of Wales Hospital
Lynn Road
Cambs CB6 1DN
Telephone: 01353 652084
Fax: 01353 652017
Melbourn CMHTOP
3 The Campkins, Station Road
Herts. SG8 6EQ
Telephone: 01763 216900
Fax: 01763 216910

Willingham CMHTOP
The Old British School
Tempus Court, Fen End
Cambs CB4 5LH
Telephone: 01954 206166
Fax: 01954 206161

Sawston CMHTOP
Box 70A, University Arms Office
London Road
Cambs CB1 4EE
Telephone: 01223 726068
Fax: 01223 726069


Cambridge City CMHTOP
Lincoln House, The Paddocks
Cherry Hinton Road
Cambridge CB1 4DH
Telephone: 01223 726022
Fax: 01223 726023

The Liason Mental Health Team
for Older People
Windsor Offices, Box 303
Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge CB1 5EF
Telephone: 01223 218935
Voicemail: 01223 885185
Fax: 01223 218933

Young Onset Dementia
Telephone: 01223 218934

Anti-dementia treatment service
Telephone: 01223 218941

Anti-dementia Service
Telephone: 01223 218925

Age Concern Mental Health
Advocacy Service
The Old White Lion
31 St Mary’s Street
Cambs CB7 4HF
Telephone/Fax: 01353 669964

FORUM Lunch Club
Telephone: 01223 881267
Voluntary Co-ordinator: Christina

Alzheimer’s Society
Cambridge and Ely Branch
Nightingale Court, Ida Darwin
Cambridge CB1 5EE
Telephone: 01223 884031
Fax: 01223 884038

Home-Start (Cambridge and District)
Abbey Meadows Community Wing
Abbey Meadows School Site
Galfrid Road
Cambridge CB5 8ND
Telephone: 01223 210202

Abbey Project – Stepping Stones
Telephone: 01223 356173

Opportunity Links
Telephone: 0800 298 9121
Local website:
National website:

Parents Community Network
Buchan Street Neighbourhood
6 Buchan Street
Kings Hedges
Cambridge CB4 2XF
Telephone: 01223 356173

Parent Network
Telephone: 01223 843043
National Childbirth Trust
Telephone: 01223 567900

National Parentline Plus
Chapel House
18 Hatton Place
London EC1N 3RD
Telephone: 0808 8002222

Endway House, Endway
Essex SS7 2AN
Telephone: 01702 554782
Fax: 01702 554911
Helpline: 0808 800 2222 (24-hour)
Textphone: 0800 783 6783,

102-108 Clerkenwell Road
London EC1M 5SA
Telephone: 020 7336 8445
Parents’ Information Service:
0800 018 2138

Cambridge Caribbean
Association (CamCarib)
C/o CCEF 62-64 Victoria Road
Cambridge CB4 3DU
Telephone: 01954 203117 (Chairperson)
Telephone: 01480 831158 (Secretary)

Cambridge Ethnic Community
62-64 Victoria Road
Cambridge CB4 3DU
Telephone/Fax: 01223 315877 (Office)
Director: 01223 315209

Dial 999 for an ambulance
Accident and Emergency Department
Addenbrooke’s Hospital
Telephone: 01223 217118
North City and South City Community Mental Health Teams
Telephone: 01223 533300
East Cambs. Community Mental Health Team
Telephone: 01353 616044
Sawston Community Mental Health Team
Telephone: 01223 830270
Histon Community Mental Health Team
Telephone: 01223 218604
(These teams can be contacted in normal office hours)
Lifeline, Cambridgeshire Mental Health Helpline
7.00pm-11.00pm, 365 days of the year
Telephone: FREEPHONE 0808 808 2121
CamDoc, out-of-hours GP service
Telephone: 01223 464242
Emergency Duty Team
Telephone: 01733 234724, outside normal office hours
Telephone: 08457 909090, 24-hours a day

Compiled by Ken Kettle March 2006


    Home | The Agencies | News/Info. | Email